Welcome to Part Four of my Five-Part Under the Sea Party Series -- Party Hats, Skirt, Apron and Table Runner. If you missed the first three parts of my series, you can find them here:
Part One: Invitations
Part Two: Decorations
Part Three: Cake and Desserts
It all started with this fabric. I was perusing the aisles of JoAnn Fabrics, when I stumbled across this mermaid fabric and the wheels started turning. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
I purchased 3 yards of fabric for about $18 and from it, I was able to make a skirt and headband for the birthday girl:
A table runner:
And party hats for the girls:
Now, I'd say that's economical. But more importantly, it's way too cute.
Skirt and Headband
I'm a very beginning sewer. But I will tell you that my mom always said that once you get bitten by the sewing bug, it's hard to ever recover. And I've been bit. Since I am just starting out sewing, I sought out a pattern that involved minimum techniques and one that was overall very easy to put together. This very easy pattern can be found HERE. It was a very straightforward tutorial, except I did have a little trouble with the sizing. The bloggers says to lay out 1/2-yard of fabric for a 3-year old, but I needed much closer to a yard. Other than that it was great and very easy to follow.
I found the headband pattern HERE. I added the flower because I felt it needed something else. I cut the petals from ribbon and added a button for the middle. The hardest part of the headband was turning it right-side out.
It was an afterthought to make an apron. I woke up early Sunday morning and found a very easy pattern for an apron. The apron pattern can be found HERE. Luckily, I had this coordinating fabric to make the ties from. This too was a very easy pattern to follow for a newbie.
I also made a matching headband by simply wrapping strips of fabric around an old headband. I'm clearly into headbands.
I also ran some leftover tulle from my ceiling decorations and wrapped a white bow around it on both ends.
For the hats, I followed the tutorial HERE. They were fairly easy. I created a hat template from an existing party hat.
I used that template to create a hat form out of card stock. Then I traced around the fabric, leaving a few inches on the edge to pull over and hot glue to the paper. I sprayed one side of the paper hat with adhesive and smoothed the fabric on top of it. Then I flipped it over and started hot gluing the edges over.
I did that all of the way around and then rolled the hat together to form a cone. I applied hot glue to the seam.
I started to apply ribbon to the bottom with hot glue as well.
And I just sort of made little loops on the bottom, gluing at every loop.
The hot glue strings easily come off the final product.
For the strap, I used some plastic stretchy string used for bracelet-making.
I tied knots in each end.
And I ran a needle threaded with the cord through the fabric on the inside of each hat.
For the top, I followed the tutorial and cut out tulle 2.5" in width for the full length of the tulle. I ran a needle and thread through the middle to create gather the tulle.
Then I pushed the tulle down the length of the thread to create a ruffle.
And I ran the needle through the other end of the tulle to connect both ends and create a tulle ball.
I hot glued it to the top of hat.
Then we tried it on for good measure.
And lined them up like soldiers waiting for the party.
All in all, I'd say all of the pieces were a hit!
Don't forget to check back for the final installment -- Thank You Notes!
Till next time,