Thursday, February 7, 2013

Under the Sea Party Five-Part Series: Part One





 Welcome to my Under the Sea party series!

We recently had a third birthday party for my littlest girl and its theme was all things under-the-sea, with an emphasis on mermaids. It's no surprise that the word of the year around here has been mermaids. Mermaids, mermaids, mermaids. What is the appeal of a slimy fin I wonder?

I wanted to stay away from Ariel because that would sort of limit my creative options and since my littlest one does not discriminate between mermaids, we were good to go! We were originally supposed to have it a few Saturdays ago, but we all got sick with this nasty cold and were forced to postpone it to Superbowl Sunday. This winter cannot end soon enough. 

This series is going to consist of:

Part One: Invitations
Part Two: Decorations
Part Three: Cake, Desserts and Food
Part Four: Party Hats, Skirt, Apron and Table Runner
Part Five: Thank You Notes

As I mentioned above, it all started with an invitation. As most parties do.

I used my Paper Doll cartridge for the Cricut machine and created the perfect mermaid. The folded size of the cards are 5.25" x 5.25" (unfolded at 5" x 10.5"). These were actually precut cards I bought seriously marked down (like to 25 cents) a few years ago. They worked perfectly, but you could obviously always cut your own.

The mermaid person only measured around 2.5" tall on the Cricut, but obviously was much bigger than that. Sometimes I don't really understand the way the Cricut measures things, so you have fool with it a bit. The sea shell behind our little mermaid was an accessory on the same cartridge and measured an appropriate 5" or so.

I bought the crabs on sale from Michaels (I can only find a link to JoAnns though) and I must admit they were a little pricey since I needed 8 of them. They totaled around $5, but I really felt like they made the front of the invite come alive! Chomp, chomp, chomp...


The inside of the card I designed in another program, printed and then added various Under the Sea stickers. Some were fish; some were turtles; some were octopuses.


They were relatively easy to put together and turned out awesome. The only weird thing was two of the invites were returned for 10 more cents of postage, which has never happened to me before. The other six, which were identical, went through fine and were even sent longer distances.

My motto: Don't try to crack the nut we call the USPS.


I used the same cartridge on a much larger scale for the decorations in the next installment of my Under the Sea Series: Part Two.

Here's a sneak peek:


Yes, this is my ceiling and yes, we really were Under the Sea.

Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...