Monday, February 11, 2013

DIY Ariel Valentines



I pulled these together lickety-split yesterday and they were so easy, I thought I would share the free printable with you!

And yes, if you can believe it, it's another mermaid post. Incidentally, just this afternoon, my two daughters were role-playing from, the movie, The Little Mermaid, where my oldest daughter was Ariel (of course, she always snags the good roles) and my youngest daughter was cast as two parts: Ursela and Flounder. They cast me as Sebastian, and let me tell you playing a crab isn't stretching too far out of my comfort zone.

Anyhow, Ariel was asking Ursela to become human (only for the three days though) -- a minor script change and Ursela bellowed: SING!

I laughed so hard because my newly three-year-old was screaming SING in her best Ursela voice. And it was just way too funny. Then Ariel said, "Bye." And Ursela said, "Bye-bye." Like they were best friends even though Ursela just stole Ariel's voice and what was even more miraculous was that Ariel could still say bye.

Completely off the subject, but did you know Sylvia Plath wrote a book of poems entitled Ariel. I think I knew that somewhere in the subconscious of my English Literature mind, but it was only rekindled when I was searching for an image to use on these Valentines. The picture of the book surfaced in one of my Google image searches. The title of the collected works is based on one poem, Ariel, found within it. After a little reading, I discovered that Sylvia Plath's horse's name was Ariel and then one article began talking about the true story of The Little Mermaid or the Hans Christian Anderson original version.

I then made the confused Scooby Doo sound.

So I looked up what the Hans Christian Anderson version was, which was written in 1836 and the ending in no way shape or form resembles the Disney version, but it does in a sense resemble the end of Syliva Plath's life. The Little Mermaid basically kills herself at the end of the story because she can't bear to kill the prince. She must kill the prince in order to turn back into a mermaid. So instead, she plunges into the ocean and turns into foam. Strange, yes.

But then I realized that the story had no names. So I wondered why Disney decided to name the mermaid Ariel, which directly means "Lion of God," but I could find nothing substantial as to the theory behind Ariel as the name of the mermaid. (I did, however, find out that Ariel was drawn to look like Alyssa Milano. Uh, weird.) I also ran across this little article that I found WAY too interesting. So basically this just made me want to be a fly on the wall at Disney when they are writing these movies because I seriously find the whole process riveting. But we don't live in Florida and I am human, so there goes that idea.

Back to the Valentines...


I left a large white rectangle at the bottom of the Valentines so my daughter could write her name. Our teacher had specifically asked that we do not address the Valentines as that poses too much of a problem with time, so this setup worked great for us.

I printed it out on white card stock and then cut it out to size. The Valentine itself measures a rough 3.75 x 4.75" after it has been cut. I cut a larger rectangle measuring 4 x 5" out of red card stock and adhered them using double-sided tape. I then cut a 1.25" heart from some turquoise scrap paper with my Cricut Doodlecharms cartridge.



I should mention that we don't plan on using envelopes. This took me about 25 minutes to assemble 18 of them, so it's a really easy project. And now that I've completely ruined your perception of Ariel and The Little Mermaid forever, I will go.

Quietly.

Bye-bye.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...