Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cupcake Liner Tags




 I love repurposing things like muffin papers. Seems silly when put into the perspective of war or hunger or cancer. But it brings me peace so I do little projects like this and post them on my blog because maybe it will bring a little peace to you too.

But I hate stumbling over my words.  I was at the gynecologist (of all places) the other day and we were chatting about the busyness of life and I found myself saying yet again, "Oh, no, I don't work. I'm a stay-at-home mom." It's a common problem I have. People ask me what I do for a living or where I work and I claim not to work. Which really is the dumbest thing to ever dribble out of my mouth because in fact, this is the hardest I have ever worked.

I blame modern culture for my stupidity.

Ok, so I am not working in a box car when it's 100 degrees outside; I'm not driving the bottom line of various businesses into the billions; nor am I working in a laboratory curing diseases. But I am working. And I am working hard. Whether you want to believe it or not: Being a stay-at-home mom is tough.

I don't quite understand why we get such a bad rap. People have wide and varied thoughts on how we spend our time. Some think we awake leisurely, perhaps at 10:00 am and shower and dress at our own pace and spend our day lying it the sun, snacking on berries and chocolates before wandering around the house aimlessly and calling it a day.

What really happens is that I get up 5:30 am every morning. Some days I barely have time to shower. Most days I don't. The rest of the day looks like this: cooking, cleaning, washing clothes, cooking, cleaning, folding cloths. Shove food in mouth now. Wipe butts, break up fight, discipline child, discipline child, change diaper, change diaper, change diaper. Oh and let's not forget: wipe tears, wipe tears, yell, yell, yell.

I worked full-time in a corporate setting for 10+ years before I became a stay-at-home mom.  And trust me when I say this: I had way more time to myself when I worked full-time. So, no we don't sit around all day eating chocolates and painting our nails. (Manicures? That's a luxury of the past.) I am on-call 24 hours long and I can't call in sick. I'm not complaining -- believe me -- I love staying home with my kids. Just don't insinuate that "I have it made" because I don't have to drive to work and sit at a desk. Because I work, just like you, all day long.

There are others who hold it against us full-time moms, taking it out on us that we stay home with our kids. There are some who even say we are doing our children a disservice by staying at home with them; we're not good role models because out-of-the-home working moms have goals. Working moms demonstrate what it's like to succeed in life. Now that's just funny.

I'm not complaining. No way, no how. I'm not looking around searching for someone to cue the violin. I really mean it when I say I would have this life no other way and I am so thankful I get to stay at home with my kids. I just wish modern culture would stop being mean to us stay-at-home moms. We've given up our careers, our needs and a large portion of ourselves for our families. So stop telling us we don't work. Stop acting like we have no skill set because we've traded dresses for cut-off shorts, high-powered lunch meetings for pb&j sandwiches and the park for the boardroom. Just stop.

We're just different from each other -- no one more right than the other. Equal and different. Isn't that what America is about anyhow? Celebrating differences? Or is that just another one of those things everyone says but no one believes? Cause that's not cool either.

But these Cupcake Liner Tags are pretty damn cool.


The cool-o-meter is sky-rocketing.

The kids weren't exactly keen about feasting on brown, mushy bananas, so I decided to put them out of their misery (the kids, not the bananas) and made some banana bread. We were going to a Memorial Day party so I thought I would bring one as a hostess gift. When it came to adding a tag, I was stymied. I don't really like my handwriting. It's so messy and unpredictable and anyone who understands me knows I value predictability.  So I figured out a way to add a tag without subjecting anyone to my handwriting. And that's how these Cupcake Liner Tags were born.

Cupcake Liner Tags


This is so easy. And it all starts with a cupcake liner.


I like to use a mini-muffin scalloped edge one because I think it looks prettier.

Here's what else you need:

Cupcake liners
Paper circles that fit inside the cupcake liner (I used my Cricut)
Decorations (I used my initial and cut these using my Cricut)
Hole punch
Extra paper
Double-sided tape
Zots


Start by flattening out the cupcake liner with the palm of your hand.


Place tape on the circle and two zots on opposing ends of the circle, very close to the edge. This will keep the cupcake liner from curling up or down too much,


Place the circle on the cupcake liner, taking care to center it.


Add adhesive to the back of your decoration.


Place it on the tag.


I felt this needed more oomph, so I decided to add some punch-out dots.


I wrapped my bread with plastic wrap and then using the zots, adhered the first layer of ribbon.


Then I wrapped another piece of ribbon underneath and pulled it up around each side and tied a bow.


Then I attached the tag using tape.


These are cute to make ahead and keep, so when you need tags, you have a stash waiting for you. Now I'm off to get a load of laundry out of the washing machine, clean some bloody knees and dream up my next peace-evoking project.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was one of those wait-a-second-this-looks-like-a-flower-when-I-smash-it moments!

      Delete
    2. Dear, it such a great idea. Im rina,from Mlysia

      Delete
  2. That's adorable. Brilliant! Where did you get the Martha Stewart cupcake liners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got them at Michaels craft store...they were in the clearance bin....39 cents or something for the whole pack! Score!

      Delete
  3. Too cute!! Thanks for sharing!!

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, you're very creative!!! I SO agree with you about being a stay at home mom, it's the hardest thing I've ever done!

    Cassidy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...