Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lentil Turnip Soup


What's the deal with Facebook? Whatever happened to if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all? Holy cow people sure are mean on there. 

I recently "liked" the Today show on my personal account, so I get their updates and WOW -- the rage. I'd say (and this is not scientific) 85% of the comments are straight-up nasty with a few positive, nice comments peppered within. And then people start in with each other and the next thing you know, all hell breaks lose.

I mentioned this to my husband, wondering why Facebook seems to fodder such negativity and we both decided that it must be the anonymity of it. You don't see people acting that way in real life.

What does this have to do with Lentil Turnip Soup? Not much other than I momentarily thought: What would happen if I posted a recipe like this to that group of people? What a field day they would have! Turnips? EEEEEK! Lentils. YUCK! I mean they would have my head on a spear faster than I could yell: SUPER SLEUTHS!

But this soup is seriously delicious.




I've been making big batches of soup for myself lately that I have been eating for lunch. By the time the kids are done eating, it's my turn for lunch and I am famished.  It's so much easier to throw some in a bowl and heat up versus making something from scratch. Although I did make some pretty awesome gluten-free bread (I subbed teff flour for the millet flour) that I've been using to make pb & j sandwiches. (I've been alternating between the two.)


The lentils in this soup give a good kick of protein and fiber, while the quinoa adds a little girth and the turnip adds a bit of sweetness. I like to blend a portion of it to create a thicker, creamier soup.

Lentil Turnip Soup






Makes About 6 1 1/2 Cup Servings

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed and pick over
1 turnip, peeled and diced
6 cups water
1/4 cup quinoa
Salt to taste
Plain yogurt (for dolloping) optional

Directions:

In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, season with salt and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.


Add the lentils and the turnip.


Add the water. Stir and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.


Turn off the heat and ladle about 2 cups of the veggies into a blender.


Add some of the liquid, about 1 cup total and blend.


Add the blended soup back to the main pot, taste and reseason and return to a simmer. Add the quinoa.


Cook for 10 minutes or until the quinoa plumped up and are tender. Taste for salt.


Serve plain or topped with a dollop of your favorite plain yogurt!


Do lentils freeze? I don't have a clue. If they do, this soup would probably freeze nicely if you're not into eating the same thing for lunch every day for five days like I am.





Nutrition Information Per Serving (About 1 1/2 Cups): Calories 160; Total Fat 6g; Total Carb 22g; Fiber 7g; Sugars 2g; Protein 7g
__________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to the following blog hops:

Fat Tuesday







7 comments:

  1. Tp hell with 'em, I say! People do get nasty on FB. I think your soup looks delicious and, quite frankly, it's making me really hungry. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! They are at it again this morning. Seriously, I don't have the gumption to talk this early in the morning, let alone start berating people because they like Good Morning America!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, I nominated you for an award, here is my post if you'd like to accept!
    http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2012/04/leibster-very-inspiring-bloggerversatile-blogger-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There Gina,

    This looks amazing. I'm such a soup girl. Your combination of flavors here are great! Looks so creamy and inviting!!! I make a ginger lemon lentil soup, but I will have to try your version!

    Be Well,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lentil soup, but have never tried it with turnips before. This is such a healthy and hearty soup--a must try!

    Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

    Be Well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this hearty and healthy soup Gina!! Sounds so delicious. Thank you for sharing with us on Fit and Fabulous Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea! It tastes a bit better with curry powder in the mix, just a suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...