Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chocolate Black Bean Snack Cakes




I present to you the snack cake, as in: Would you like a snack? A cake perhaps? Not heavy enough to be called cake and not snacky enough to be called simply a snack -- the snack cake.

We all like a good snack in this house and it's becoming clear that we all have been stricken with a sweet tooth, but sugar is my enemy and I don't exactly think hopping my children up on sugar every afternoon is a good idea.

Enter the Chocolate Black Bean Snack Cake: slightly sweet, with a spongy interior (not unlike a Twinkee of all things) and satisfying all of our sweet teeth or tooths (or something).


Plus, there's the added bonus of the good ol' black bean trick. You don't even know they're in there. At least my family didn't. And if my husband wasn't able to sniff it out with the earnest of a bloodhound, no one will be able to detect that you carefully popped open a can of black beans, rinsed them under water and added them to your snack cake batter. No one.

Cut them into 16 servings for only 100 calories or cut them into 8 for a mere 200 calories.

Chocolate Black Bean Snack Cakes






Ingredients:

15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 medium banana
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup honey

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.

Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor.


Process until smooth.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.


Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the top cracks slightly and a few moist crumbs stay attached to a toothpick inserted into the middle.

Let cool completely.


Remove from pan and cut into 8 or 16 squares.


Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.





Nutrition Information Per Serving (16): Calories 100; Total Fat 4g; Total Carb 14g; Fiber 3g; Sugars 6g; Protein 4g

Nutrition Information Per Serving (8): Calories 200; Total Fat 8g; Total Carb 29g; Fiber 6g; Sugars 12g; Protein 7g
__________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to the following blog hops:





16 comments:

  1. This looks really good! Seems like a pretty good thing to have so much fiber and protein in a "snack cake"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. Lots of people scoff at the black beans, but you can't even taste them!

      Delete
  2. I'm not so sure about the beans, but I'm trying it. Making it for a belated Easter celebration tomorrow with my family. Here's hoping it goes over well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'll trade you some snack cakes for some brownies! Looks like we're on the same wavelength ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I debated saying anything but I had to say I just made these exactly as the recipe stated and they were awful. I like black bean baked goods and these had no sweetness at all and a very odd taste. They look exactly like the photo. I am pretty disappointed because it looked so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! That's too bad. We're used to baked goods that aren't cloyingly sweet, but with just a hint of sweetness! Try adding more sweetener and see if you like it!

      Delete
  5. So I have all these ingredients on hand! I just boiled some beans this morning. I am going to make these right now for snack time!!

    Thank you for this great recipe!!


    And thank you for sharing your recipe with us last week on AFW! Be sure to check back this week for reader favorites and hostess picks.

    Be Well,
    --Amber & AFW Hostesses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There Gina,

      Just made the brownies! WOW! Fantastic. I made 2 minor adjustments with what I hand on hand. Really great recipe...thank you!

      -for the sweetener I used 1/4 cup agave and 1/4 teaspoon cocoa stevia
      -1 cup cooked black beans (just boiled a bunch this morning)

      Be Well,
      --Amber

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know! I'm glad you liked them!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi There Gina,

    (I deleted my last post..total brain fart - I'm so sorry. I've been looking at so many brownie, cake and chocolate recipes on our Allergy-Free Wednesdays blog hop I got confused and calling these brownies).

    This is a cake!! Yes, and it tastes JUST like chocolate cake. My husband is a huge chocoholic and loved this cake. My daughter also loves it. Thank you for such a healthy, delicious recipe, Gina!

    As I mentioned in my previous comment - I think your cake here would taste awesome with my maple-coffee flavored mousse (used as icing).

    Okay, think I need to take a nap today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone tried this without eggs? (cooking wheat/dairy/egg/ almond free).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Has anyone tried this without eggs or with an egg substitute? (We are cooking wheat/ dairy/ egg/ almond free). But looking for protein! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire -- I haven't so I am not sure what will happen! Let us know if you experiment....

      Delete
  10. I made this last night- it is FABULOUS! I cannot believe there are black beans in it. I only had a 9x9 pan, though, and I pulled mine out of the oven at 23 minutes b/c the top had starting cracking and I only got a few moist crumbs on the toothpick. If I would have left it in for 30, it would have burned. May have been b/c of the 9x9 pan, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! So glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...