Saturday, March 31, 2012

30-Calorie No-Bake Chocolate Truffles


Yep, that's right. 30 calories plus one gram of protein in each of these no-bake chocolate truffles. Bet you're thinking: Can she get any more hyphens in the title?

So that means three truffles have less than 100 calories (90 to be exact) and a whopping 3 grams of protein?




Yep, again.

I had some quinoa flakes in the pantry smirking at me every time I pulled out the jar of whole quinoa. I must have bought them with a recipe in mind, but seriously, if I don't write things down, ideas buzz in one ear and float unnoticed right out of the other. So they've just been sitting there. Pouting.

Source
Until I remembered reading somewhere that quinoa flakes take the place of oats quite well in recipes and that they add a mean protein punch. Since I am all about protein these days, these truffles were no-brainers. I've been popping them as a mid-morning snack (because they are portable -- woo-hoo!) or as a treat at night.

I also used a new product I just picked up called Better'n Peanut Butter. I read about it on a few different blogs and I wanted to try it. Why you ask? Why in the world would I want to replace peanut butter? I wanted to try and find a natural substitute because regular natural peanut butter has 200 calories in two measly tablespoons. And that's just not helping my rear-end. When I tried it on a spoon (as some in my family would eat peanut butter), I scrunched up my face and said, "Ew."

I was expecting Better'n Peanut Butter to taste just like peanut butter except have half the calories. I know. I must have been delirious. So I had this jar of stuff and I was so mad I bought it. Then I began seeing articles touting its application in recipes versus eating it on its own. It lends the same sort of thing peanut butter does to let's say a granola bar, but without the fat and calories. So I added it here. You can of course, sub it with regular peanut butter, but I'm guessing the calorie count per truffle may spike.

These little protein truffles are very chocolaty and thick and dense, but they are not the type of truffle to spark a craving; they are just sweet enough to help squash a craving. The best part is they won't undue what you've tried to do all day. You get what I'm saying, right?

30-Calorie Chocolate Truffles






Makes 13 Truffles

Ingredients:

1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon coconut oil (not melted)
1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1/4 cup ground chia seeds (I use a coffee grinder)
1 cup quinoa flakes
1/3 cup Better'n Peanut Butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

For coating:

2 teaspoons coconut sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions:

Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.

In a medium sauce pan set over medium heat, combine the coconut sugar through the almond milk.


Stir to melt. Remove from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix vigorously to combine.


Wet your fingers slightly and carefully roll a tablespoon worth of dough in your hands. Drop onto the prepared baking sheet.


Place in the refrigerator for a few hours. Combine coating ingredients (I whizzed them together first in my coffee grinder) in a small bowl. Roll each truffle in the coating.


Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.


Fudgy (without making you pudgy), dense and oh so good -- for you too.

Nutrition Information Per Truffle: Calories 30; Total Fat 1g; Total Carb 5g; Fiber 1g; Sugars 4g; Protein 1g


__________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to the following blog hops:


5 comments:

  1. I just had a truffle ice pop last night...Now I am craving for another truffle treat. Yum!Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you had me giggling many times! These look SO good...I am going to try a version with peanut flour (de-fatted peanut flour) and know it will work well in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look brilliant; a must make!

    Have you tried PB2? Made from peanuts it has way less ingredients (mostly just peanuts, really) and is very competitive to BnPB's nutritional scorecard (45cal/tbsp and muy protein).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen PB2, just recently. I looked for it at the grocery store, but couldn't find it. I think I may have to order some online...!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...