Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes


Growing up, whenever we had beets as part of our dinner, there was always a standoff. I couldn't stand their sweet, almost tangy flavor. In my mind, this was not a vegetable. And as a kid, I really liked vegetables. I still do. As a matter of fact, I ate an entire bag of baby spinach for lunch yesterday (wilted with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt and garlic). After eating the while bag of spinach, I looked at the back and discovered the whole entire bag was only 60 calories. Wow, I really love spinach.

Back to the beets though. Beets were on sale for 3 pounds for a mere $1 a few weeks ago and after hearing my mom go on and on and on and on about how delicious beets are I decided to give them a try again, hoping my relationship with them could change much like my relationship has changed with brussel sprouts. (Love those little sprouts now.) I came across a recipe in a magazine that paired beets with sweet potatoes, onions and a little garlic and oil. Not even having the faintest clue where I saw this recipe, I decided to wing it.


Pin It

Mmmmmm. Wow. This dish is sweet and savory and oh so good for you. The significant amount of vitamin C found in beets paired with the beta carotene and fiber found in sweet potatoes makes this combo a nutritional powerhouse that won't spike your blood sugar and will keep you feeling full. If you're on a low carb diet, this is not the recipe for you. But if you like to eat a balanced diet with a good mix of protein and carbs, add a little protein to this for a beautifully balanced meal.

Roasted Beets and Sweets Potatoes 







Makes 4 Large Servings

Ingredients:

2 - 3 large beets, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 - 2-inch chunks
2 - 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 - 2-inch chunks
1 large sweet onion, cut into 8 wedges
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the chopped beets on the baking sheet and toss with one tablespoon of oil and sprinkling of salt. Spread the beets out evenly on the baking sheet.


Bake the beets for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.

Add the sweet potatoes, onion wedges and garlic to the beets. Add the remaining two tablespoons of oil and another sprinkling of salt. Mix together with your hands and smooth out to as much of a single layer as possible on the baking sheet.


Bake for 1 hour, stirring a few times, until tender and roasted. Serve immediately.


Try it cold too; my mom claims it's da bomb. Of course, she didn't say it's da bomb, but I'm laughing right now for two reasons. 1. I don't think she's ever said da bomb in her life (I think this is a first for me as well) and 2. What a stupid saying that is. I mean, bombs are bad and da is not a word.

One thing is for certain: I think I've rekindled my relationship with beets. They are like the jealous boyfriend type though -- they leave their mark everywhere.









Nutrition Information: Calories 268; Total Fat 11g; Total Carb 39g; Fiber 7g; Sugars 10g; Protein 4g 
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to the following blog hops:

5 comments:

  1. Hey Gina, I guess from the pictures its kinda obvious, but you suggest peeling both the beets and potatoes before roasting them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice, Eeek. Yes. Peeled. Thanks for the question. It's the little things that escape me most days...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, I love this combination! What a great recipe!!! Thank you for sharing on Fit and Fabulous. This is perfect! :) Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! I love the boyfriend comment! Beets do get everywhere! And your recipe sounds delicious. :)

    I actually made parsnips the other day to see if I could learn to like them. I've always hated them, but I decided to give them a try again and I actually liked them a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...