Tuesday, February 14, 2012

168-Calorie Strawberry Cranberry Smoothie


I've been having problems getting in the zone with eating; I haven't been able to find a natural rhythm. It's been sort of spiraling downward since autumn and it all seemed to fall apart when Christmas hit. I felt like I was craving so much sugar. Every night I would get this huge sugar rush and I would search the house for anything with even a trace amount of sugar to devour.

Needless to say, I'm puffy and I feel a sort of general malaise. Through all of this though, I've been running and strength training and regardless of all of the hard work, I haven't been seeing any results. Quite honestly, I've gained weight. So two weeks ago, I decided to change my workout schedule. Instead of working out in the morning and rushing around all stress-filled, I decided to workout at night, right after everyone ate dinner and then jump straight in the shower. In addition to decreasing the stress in the morning, I was hoping this would stop my night time cravings.

It took a little getting used to, such as getting the energy to workout after putting in a full day with the kids, but I slowly figured out how much I need to eat so I won't be cramped or sluggish when running and what I need in terms of energy to actually fuel my runs. Coffee, I have found, drank about a half an hour before I run, is essential for me.

Even though I successfully moved my workout regimen from the morning to the night, I still was in a funk with food, so I decided to try eating six small meals a day in an effort to curb what has become my nocturnal eating habit. Guess what? I don't feel famished anymore, which of course, means I am not starving so much that I will shove whatever is closest to me into my mouth. Healthy eating habits seem to disappear when I'm starving, so the key for me seems to be eating six small meals a day. I'm not even hungry come 8:00 pm. It's great!

In essence, I am eating two small breakfast meals. So after I feed the kids, I have a Van's waffle with a bit of peanut butter and jelly and cottage cheese (I bought some Kalona SuperNatural cottage cheese because it was on sale and it is the best damn cottage cheese I have ever tasted. Ever.) with some chopped berries or fruit. Then roughly two hours later, I have a smoothie.


Ever since I got a Vitamix for my birthday last year, I have been experimenting with all sorts of smoothies. It just so happened I got it when cranberries were on sale because of the holidays, so I stocked up on bags and bags of cranberries and just threw them in the freezer. I also stocked up on strawberries during the summer when they are so sweet and so inexpensive and froze them on a baking sheet and then piled them into a freezer bag.


So that's how I became absolutely addicted to this 168-calorie strawberry cranberry smoothie. It is so naturally sweet and tart; I sometimes eat it with a spoon from a bowl because it is reminiscent of a thick sherbert.

Strawberry Cranberry Smoothie






Makes 1 Large Smoothie

Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen cranberries
1 scoop Tera'swhey Pomegranate Cranberry Goat Whey Protein Powder
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon NuNaturals Stevia

Put 3/4 of the almond milk, plus the rest of the ingredients in the bowl of your blender and pulverize.


My Vitamix usually gets a little clogged, which is why I save a splash of almond milk to get it going again.

Mix until everything is smooth, including the chia seeds. Serve immediately.


Because I have a high-powered blender, my chia seeds get totally smashed and there is nothing crunchy at all in this smoothie. If you don't have a high-powered blender, you might want to grind the chia seeds in a coffee grinder before adding them so you're not chewing your smoothie. Because then I guess it would not be called a smoothie and instead maybe a chewy? I don't know.

Happy smoothie-making!



Nutrition Information: Calories 168; Total Fat 4g; Total Carb 22g; Fiber 8g; Sugars 7g; Protein 14g 

*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool
__________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to the following blog hops:



2 comments:

  1. Delicious smoothie recipe!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a favorite smoothie. I haven't ever made one. I am also starting to be more aware of my diet so I may have to consider buying a good blender.
    Kiwi fruit Green & Gold website

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...