Monday, January 23, 2012

Minnie Mouse Birthday Party Desserts and Chicken Wraps with Avocado Garlic Sauce


Our Minnie Mouse party has come and gone.


In my estimation, we've exploited Minnie Mouse as much as humanly possible. We created invites, decorated the house and eaten in Minnie Mouse style. But we had a good time doing it.


The menu was:




Dessert consisted of:









As I mentioned above, the chocolate cake recipe is from Cybele Pascal's Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook. It is fantastic. I made it on Christmas as a dry run for the party and no one knew the difference until they saw me and the baby eating it. Then they knew it had to be gluten- and dairy-free. It was simply delicious. Seriously, buy this book for this cake alone.

Instead of doing a Minnie Mouse cake like the Mickey Mouse cake I did last year, I decided to use the number 2 cake mold I had from my oldest daughter's birthday. I decided to decorate it based on the polka dot theme. I dyed the frosting using India Tree Natural Decorating Colors food dye and chose pink and white.


I forgot to get a picture of it finished (and not eaten), but I was busy and forgot so many things. I just wrapped a Wilton cake board with Wilton metallic wrapping and taped the back. I frosted first with a crumb coat, put it in the refrigerator and then frosted it again. I piped the dots with Wilton tip 12 and for the bigger ones, I just lightly wet my finger and smushed the dot down.

I made cupcakes simply because I had extra batter from the cake.


I used Wilton tip 1M to frost the with the same frosting as the cake. I used Wilton White Sugar Pearls as sprinkles. (I'm not sure what's in those, so if you have allergies, check it out first.)


I purchased these Mickey Mouse cookie cutters and decided to make the Tollhouse cookie recipe in bar form. I just lined the pan with parchment paper and when they were cool, I lifted them out and cut out the cookies using the ear cutter.


I was going to add some sort of a bow, but I simply ran out of time! I also made peanut butter Rice Krispie treats. I made them the same way as you normally would, except when they were warm, I rolled them into balls.


And then when I was ready, I dipped them in chocolate and attached the ears on with peanut butter. I used red hots for the bow and put those on with peanut butter too. Then I put them on lollipop sticks.


Everyone loved these. And they tasted really good too!

My mom had some extra Minnie Mouse fabric that she bought around Halloween that I used as table runner. And I snagged some red and white polka dot wrapping paper on Christmas clearance at Walmart for 39 cents. So I wrapped four pieces of floral foam with the paper to use as the lollipop display.


Then I lined three cupcake pedestals with red and white polka dot ribbon and taped three bows to the front. I stacked them on top of each other.


I filled the pedestals with the cupcakes and the cookies.


I pushed the lollipops through the foam so they stood up straight.


I flanked the pedestals with two pieces of the wrapped foam and that completed the Minnie Mouse dessert table!


Since I was serving chili, I wanted another hearty course that did not include red meat, but instead chicken. It took a while and a lot of tests, but this wrap finally passed. I wanted a sauce that tasted like the avocado sauce they use on the Jimmy John veggie sandwiches. I think I came pretty close.

I wrapped these using regular wheat sandwich wraps, but I also made a few on some gluten-free buns for myself and anyone else who wasn't eating gluten.

Chicken Wraps with Avocado Garlic Sauce






Makes 24 Sandwiches

Ingredients:

8 lbs bone-in split chicken breasts, skin on
4 cups avocado garlic sauce (recipe below)
16 ounces shredded iceburg lettuce
1 1/2 lb Boar's Head havarti cheese (optional, exclude for no dairy option)
12 sandwich wraps
Mayonnaise
Salt
Toothpicks (optional)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line the chicken breasts on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Roast until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Once cool remove skin and shred chicken. Refrigerate overnight. Make the avocado garlic sauce.

Avocado Garlic Sauce 


Makes about 4 cups

Ingredients:

2 medium onions
3 - 4 garlic cloves
2 tomatoes, peeled
6 avocados
The juice from two lemons
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

Directions:

Chop the onions, garlic, tomatoes into large chunks and place in a food processor.  Cut the avocados into halves, remove the pit and take the flesh out. Add it along with the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator

To Finish the Wraps

Lay out the wrap and place approximately 2 tablespoons of the avocado garlic sauce and mayo on the wrap. Using a knife, spread the dressing around the circumference of the wrap. Place the cheese down(if using), then a handful of chicken and lettuce. Sprinkle with salt. Roll it up. Here's how I found the best way to to do it:

  1. Fold the left side in.
  2. Fold the right side in.
  3. Using your thumbs, roll up from the bottom.
  4. Cut on a diagonal.
At this point, you can leave them alone or you can stick toothpicks in to secure them even more. I opted for toothpicks because they were not staying together on the platter. I probably loaded them up with too much on the inside, but who wants a skimpy sandwich?

Right before dinner was served, my oldest daughter, niece, husband and dad went outside to take advantage of the freshly fallen snow.






They worked up quite the appetite -- more for dessert than anything though.  We gathered everyone in the living room.


Lit the candles.


I decided it was the perfect time to pick things off of the baby's face.


Sang Happy Birthday!


And blew the candles out!


 It's a good thing I've been running all of those miles lately.


Nutrition Information Per Two Sandwiches: Calories 536; Total Fat 40g; Total Carb 21g; Fiber 14g; Sugars 1g; Protein 35g


*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.

6 comments:

  1. Such cute Minnie Mouse treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! Where was my invite?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I love how you did everything! Where did you find your #2 cake pan? I've been looking for one everywhere and have had no luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it so long ago, I can't remember, BUT I do know that it was online somewhere and I just did a search and it it did not come up. I did see a few of the rounded #2 pans from here: http://www.amazon.com/Lekue-Number-Cake-Mold-Red/dp/B005OYWI66

      Mine is not rounded and instead has 90 angles and there's no bottom, so it's more of a mold. You just bake it on a baking sheet. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom picked them up for me at a store called Home Goods. I use them all if the time'

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...