Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tasty Turkey Muffins


My body needs a break -- a break from chocolate-covered almonds, pecan pie and brussels sprouts with bacon. I have finally rid my kitchen of all of the wonderfully tasting, butt fattening foods that quietly intruded one week ago.

In its place, we've been eating slow cooker chicken caesar sandwiches (a recipe I have been testing for my daughter's 2nd birthday party in a few weeks), salads, sautéed garlicky broccoli, and roasted potatoes -- oh and these delicious turkey muffins. When I was trying on a low carb diet a year ago, I came across the recipe for these muffins in a forum and since have tweaked it so it fits our lifestyle and taste buds.

We know that ground turkey has less fat than its ground beef counterpart, but we also know with that comes dry and sometimes sandpaper tasting foods. These muffins use dark meat ground turkey and are infused with flavor from carrots, onions and eggs. The original recipe calls for heavy cream and cheese, both of which I have substituted with light coconut milk (adds absolutely no coconut flavor and instead just a touch of richness) and Daiya shredded cheddar cheese for a dairy-free dinner.

These little guys are delicious right out of the muffins cups or poured out into a bowl and enjoyed with a fork.


They can be made in muffins tins, but they need to be greased and cleanup is really a pain in the rear. I specifically bought some silicone muffins cups for this recipe so I didn't have to add any additional fat and so I didn't have to use a whole box of steel wool pads to clean the muffin pan. It worked perfectly. They slid right out of the silicone cups and required minimal cleaning. These are wonderful served with a crisp green salad dressed with salt and canola oil.

Turkey Muffins






Makes 10 Turkey Muffins

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lb ground turkey, dark meat
2 carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 eggs
1/4 cup light coconut milk or heavy cream
1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup (divided) shredded cheddar Daiya cheese or regular shredded cheddar cheese
Salt, to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with oil or line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and line up 10 silicone muffin cups.

Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and season with salt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened.




Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. 


Meanwhile, in a glass measuring cup, mix together the eggs and coconut milk. Season with salt.


Place the ground turkey mixture in a bowl and add the egg mixture and the 1/4 cup shredded cheese to it. Mix well.


Divide equally among 10 muffin cups (pouring some of the excess liquid over each muffin nf necessary) and top with remaining 1/8 cup cheese.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until egg is set and cheese is melted. Eat straight from the muffin cup with a fork or empty into a bowl.


I am about ready to break in my new Garmin watch for the third time (if the fog around here lifts) and I am also getting ready to kiss my dried, cracked and bleeding dish washing hands goodbye because there's a brand new dishwasher getting installed today!

In midst of our New Year's celebrating (which probably includes my husband and I watching the Toy Story 3 dvd I picked up at the library yesterday and my husband waking me up at midnight to tell me it's a new year) I cannot forget to soak my black-eyed peas for our good luck New Year's lunch tomorrow!

See ya in 2012,






Nutrition Information Per 2 Muffins: Calories 146; Total Fat 8g; Total Carb 10g; Fiber 2g; 
Sugars 4g; Protein 8g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to:


4 comments:

  1. I never know what to do with ground turkey other than turkey burgers. This is so great and I think my kids will flip that they're muffins. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a lunchbox! Would you be interested in linking up to my Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love party?

    http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2012/01/raspberry-crumble-bars-and-lunchbox.html

    Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...