Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Minnie Mouse Birthday Invitations


Along with all of the holiday preparations and activities last week, I also had to carve out a little time to make and send my youngest daughter's birthday invitations. Her birthday party will be in January and I wanted to give guests enough time to plan ahead and the reserve the day.

Last year, we celebrated her birthday in complete Mickey Mouse style and because her love for everything Mickey Mouse has not wavered at all and in fact has only strengthened over the past year, I decided to make this year's birthday a Minnie Mouse celebration.


First order of business were the invitations. And they came out as cute as ever! I happened to have leftover black envelopes from last year's invites, so that dictated the size I would make them this year. To make these super cute BOWtiful invites, here's how to do it:

Supplies:

Cardstock -- red, black, yellow, white
Scissors
Double-sided tape
Zots
Pop dots
Black envelopes (5.5 x 5.5")
Mickey Mouse paper for Minnie cutout on inside (I got mine from Michaels)
Red and white polka dot ribbon (I got mine from Hobby Lobby)
Bone folder
Computer and printer


Since my envelopes were 5.5 x 5.5", I made the red base of my invitation 10.5 x 5.25". I folded them in half using a bone folder.


I was originally going to use a template similar to the Mickey Mouse shirts for the black silhouette, but I could not get a clean enough cut around the circles and it looked so messy. Then I had the bright idea that I should use my Cricut machine to cut different sized circles out (see note). I used my Celebrations cartridge and cut the smaller circles at 2" and the larger ones at 3.5". Then I just stuck them together using double-sided tape.


Since I wanted bows for the silhouette, I cut out about 10" of ribbon per bow and made little bows for the ears. I trimmed the edges as necessary.


I originally used some zots to adhere the bows, but at the end, I decided to use regular craft glue on the bows for a stronger bond to the paper. I didn't want the bows falling off as people pulled the invite from the envelope.

I created the base for the ears out of yellow card stock and sized it 4 x4". I attached the black ears to the yellow base with double-sided tape and then, using my Cricut cartridge Celebrations, I cut out the number 2 on white card stock. I used zots I cut in half to attach it to the black ears.


I then attached the yellow base to the red card using double-sided tape.


The front is now finished! On to the inside. I cut a black square, 4.5 x 4.5" and placed it on the bottom half of the card.


I created a message in Quark and printed it. (If you don't have access to a layout program, you could use Microsoft Word.) My message, printed on white card stock, was 4 x 4". I  bought some scrapbook paper that had all of the characters in little boxes and I cut out all of the Minnie Mouse pictures. I then created a yellow border that measured 1.875 x 1.875" (which is 1 7/8 on the ruler). I attached the Minnie Mouse picture using a pop dot.


I placed it where it would fit, which happened to be to the right of the message.


As I mentioned earlier, I ended up regluing the bows using craft glue. I place a heavy object on the bow as it was drying in order to achieve a good bond to the paper. It worked perfectly. I don't think those bows are going anywhere.


I lined them up to dry overnight.


And they were mailed the next day!


There's more Minnie Mouse fun in store. (Of course, I'm not sure what it is just yet, but we've got a whole Minnie Mouse party to plan!) If you have a Minnie Mouse party and are looking for invitations, these are easy to make, absolutely inexpensive and BOWriffic!





Note about circle sizes: The circle measurements are not equal to the diameters of the circles. If using the Cricut machine with the Celebrations cartridge, I used the shadow function at the sized specified. If you are simply cutting out circles by hand and measuring out by diameter, the circle diameter sizes are 2 1/4" for the larger one and 1 1/4" for the smaller ones!

13 comments:

  1. WOW! These are SO CUTE! I wish I had a little girl to make them for! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this invite. Real cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little girl is having a 2 Minnie Mouse Party too! These are some GREAT Ideas! :) Thnaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the invitations and am trying to duplicate portions of it. I cut squares 2" in diameter and 3.5" in diameter...they seem so much larger than yours. Can you confirm you are measuring the diameter? Also, what size is the yellow square? I can't figure out why mine isn't turning out as nice. You really did a great job, I just love these invites! Thanks for your help

      Delete
    2. Are you using a Cricut machine? If you are then the dimensions for the circles are 2" and 3.5" using the blackout feature (I realize now I failed to mention that above.) The blackout feature doesn't create a hole at the top of the circle and for some strange reason doesn't measure the diameter. But if you're not using a Cricut and just cutting circles out measuring by diameter the bigger circle is 2 1/4" and the smaller circles are 1 1/4". The yellow square is 4" x 4". Try this and let me know if it is better! Thanks for letting me know. I'll add that to the directions above!!

      Delete
  4. What fonts did you use for the invitation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Nobel family fonts which can be purchased here: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontbureau/fb-nobel/

      Or you can use Century Gothic for a free similar font or the Abadi family fonts are free and similar as well.

      Delete
  5. How did you do the bows? I can't get mine to show the polka dots. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tied them normal and if one side was showing the back side, I futzes with it until it was flat or I put a tiny zit dot on it to keep it facing up. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! My almost two year old loves minnie mouse and these are the cutest invites - thanks for the step my step instructions - always helpful when buying supplies and assembling everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Do u think it will look nice if I use fusha pink instead of red.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...