Sunday, November 20, 2011

Slow Cookin' Sunday: Steak Fajita Bowls


Last Sunday I think I got salmonella poisoning from peanut butter that I found out later was recalled. It was Smucker's Natural Chunky Peanut Butter.  I was making some cookies using the peanut butter and I was the only one who ate the peanut butter raw. Everyone else ate it after it was cooked to above 165 degrees. Within an hour, I was couched by a pounding, almost debilitating headache, extreme nausea and stomach issues, chills and fever. By the next morning, my chills and fever dissipated, leading me to believe that maybe I had accidentally eaten something that had gluten in it.

On Wednesday I saw on the afternoon news that the peanut butter I ate on Sunday was recalled. Ding, ding, ding. I can't be sure of the lot number because the jar was thrown out and long gone, but my symptoms were eerily similar to those listed online. And it was gross, yucky and very flu-like.

It wasn't until Friday that I really started feeling like myself. Needless to say, this house is falling down around me! I am backed up on laundry, cleaning -- just about everything (including blog posts!).

Yesterday we went to our local zoo with my oldest daughter's preschool. They purchase a tree to donate to the zoo and the kids make ornaments in class to decorate the tree with. We call this Trim-a-Tree event. We get there in the morning and they eat donuts and drink hot chocolate, decorate the tree and take pictures.


Then we spent the afternoon looking at the animals. I really love the zoo when it's cooler out versus hot. It was such a nice day!

When we got home, I was so glad I made this steak fajita mixture in the slow cooker the evening before. I got the idea for steak fajita bowls because I saw a few recipes for burritos, but I didn't feel like messing with a wrap. I wondered what would happen if I made a basic fajita blend in the crockpot and added some extras toward the end like cooked rice, black beans and corn and serve it all in a bowl. After it was done cooking, I let it sit in the refrigerator overnight knowing the flavors would most likely marry and be perfect the next day.

It was getting colder as the day wore on yesterday, so by the time we got home, we were seriously hungry. All I can say is with the week I had: Thank goodness for slow cookers. And thank goodness for steak fajita bowls.

Slow Cooker Steak Fajita Bowls






Makes 4, 2-Cup Servings

Ingredients:

1 lb flank steak, sliced thinly against the grain
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tomatoes, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow pepper, julienned
1 red pepper, julienned
1 large onion, sliced thinly
2 teaspoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
Salt
Guacamole (optional)
Corn chips (optional)

Directions:

Place the sliced steak, spices, salt, tomatoes and garlic in a slow cooker.


Cook on low for 3 - 4 hours.

Add the peppers and onions and mix well.


Season with salt and continuing cooking for another 2 hours.

In a separate bowl, make a slurry by combining the arrowroot or cornstarch and the water. Mix well and pour into the slow cooker. Mix well. Switch to high and cook for another 1/2 an hour. Add the rice, corn and beans and cook until heated through. Taste and salt if needed and serve with crushed up tortilla chips and guacamole.


This is such an easy dinner that packs a powerful punch.

As I was overcoming my sickness, I finished reading Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. I'm going to post a review of that soon.





Nutrition Information Per A 2-Cup Serving: Calories 372; Total Fat 10g; Total Carb 37g; Fiber 6g; Sugars 5g; Protein 30g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post has been linked to:

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm....what a good idea. Looks SO good. Reminds me of Chipotle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I just stumbled across this recipe. I think we'll make this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...