Sunday, November 6, 2011

Slow Cookin' Sunday: Pot Roast and Veggies


For about a month, I've been dreading turning the clocks back for Daylight Savings Time. Everyone says, "Don't you just love the extra hour?"

No. I don't love the extra hour. Because I don't get an extra hour. I get the same amount of hours with a horrible 4:00 am wake up call. My youngest daughter normally wakes up between 5:30 and 6:15 am -- most often it's around 5:30 am. So when we push the clocks back, she wakes up at 4:30 am. Now I know that it's really still 5:30 am, but the clock says 4:30 am and I always have this horrible feeling that she will never adjust and just keep waking at 4:30 am.

You can see why I have been dreading this time change.

To make matters worse, this whole week has been a pretty crappy sleep week. Starting with last Sunday, either one or both of my kids have been up some portion of the night because of an upper respiratory virus they caught somewhere. I swear, we have not had a break this fall with colds yet. (I am hoping this finally puts an end to a very long battle of one virus and bacterial infection after the other.)

So I am exhausted, sort of moving through each day in a fog, because I just can't get a good night's sleep and with this time change breathing down my neck, I was really dreading Sunday morning.

After I put the kids to sleep last night, I sat down on the couch and slowly fell to a laying position. The last time I saw on the clock was 8:00 pm. My husband woke me up at 9:30 pm to tell me to go upstairs. I dragged myself upstairs, changed and put an extra binky in the baby's crib and covered her up again with a blanket. And went back to sleep.

Guess what happened this morning: The baby slept till the new 5:30 am (which would have been 6:30 am). Phew! Great news! All of the worrying for nothing. Oh wait...

But my oldest, the one who normally sleeps until about 7:00 am, gets up at 4:45 am (the old 5:45 am) rearing to go. Of course, I told her to go back to sleep and to her credit, she laid in bed (albeit making much noise) until she heard her sister loudly start jabbering at 5:30 am.

Murphy's law.

Earlier in the week when my fog wasn't quite so thick, I saw beef chuck roasts on sale at Whole Foods for $3.99 a pound and they just looked so fresh and good. So this week's Slow Cookin' Sunday was a no brainer (thankfully). Putting a beef chuck roast in the slow cooker breaks down the connective tissues and creates a moist and tender cut of meat that melts in your mouth. Serve the veggies alongside with the leftover gravy and you got yourself one heck of an easy and delicious meal.

Slow Cooker Pot Roast and Veggies






Ingredients:

1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 beef chuck roast (about 2.5 pounds)
4 large carrots (or eight medium) cut into fourths
2 large onions cut into 8 wedges
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
A few sprinkles of onion powder
Salt

Directions:

Start by making a slurry with the cornstarch and water by mixing together in a small bowl until smooth.


Once it is smooth, pour it into the slow cooker. Add the chopped veggies, season with salt and toss in the cornstarch mixture.

Season each side of the roast with salt and lay on top of the veggies. Sprinkle the dried minced onion, garlic powder and onion salt over the roast.


Cook on high for six hours or until fork tender.


Remove the roast and vegetables to a serving platter and strain the remaining liquid through a fine mesh sieve. Serve roast and veggies with the sauce if desired.


I think we may be starting to put up Christmas decorations today. It's going to be on the warmer side, so I think I was able to convince my husband it would be a great weekend to put up the Christmas lights outside. We also checked out this great Mickey Mouse dvd from the library and my oldest daughter has been really interested in Christmas, so I think we may put try to put up one of the Christmas trees today!






Nutrition Information Per 1/6 of Recipe (no gravy included): Calories 406; Total Fat 22g; Total Carb 17g; Fiber 4g; Sugars 7g; Protein 33g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to:

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good. There is nothing I like better than throwing food in a pot, walking away and coming back to a completely cooked meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super yummy! Pot roast is so comforting -- especially when it's snowing like it is here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this yesterday and it came out divine. This is how I will make pot roasts forever. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...