Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars


Thanksgiving was a blur as was the rest of the week. If we weren't going one place, we were headed out to another -- haircuts, yoga classes, ice skating and gymmastics (not too mention my husband started demolition on our office which will now become a playroom for the kids; hopefully we can claim our family room back from the army of toys).  And on top of it all, every Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I make a miniature Thanksgiving dinner with a stuffed turkey breast, cornbread stuffing, roasted brussell sprouts and pumpkin pie for dessert. It was so good. I seriously love Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix. So good.

If you follow this blog, you know that I have a minor obsession with peanut butter and chocolate. Everything I seem to make somehow incorporates peanut butter and chocolate...ok, maybe not everything, but it sure comes close.

After making my almond butter cookies the other day, I wanted to see if I could turn them into a successful bar, making the recipe more time-friendly because let's face it: We just don't have enough time. I always switched back and forth between almond butter and peanut butter for the cookies, but for these bars, I wanted a clear peanut butter and chocolate flavor.

It totally worked! I was so excited to discover a bar alternative to the flourless almond butter cookies. These are so good popped in a lunch or for an afternoon snack and they freeze well too!

Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Bars






Ingredients:

1 16 ounce jar peanut butter (I used natural, chunky)
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chocolate chunks (I used Enjoy Life)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix the peanut butter until smooth and creamy. (I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer for this.) Add the honey, vanilla and eggs.


Add the baking soda and the salt and mix well. Add the chocolate chunks and stir to combine.


Press into a 9 x 13 baking dish until smooth and level on top.


Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!

One other thing I discovered is that I really don't like cranberry sauce. I tried making some in the slow cooker over the weekend and it was a complete and total disaster -- too tart for me and the skins are so weird. Oh well.

I've also decided to put Slow Cookin' Sundays on a hiatus because there are a lot of other recipes and projects I would like to share that just don't use the slow cooker. (Some do, though, so I am not completely giving up the slow cooker!). After the holidays are over, I am going to decided whether or not to bring it back...we'll see!

Till Next Time!





Nutrition Information Per One Bar: Calories 281; Total Fat 18.2g; Total Carb 21g; Fiber 3g; Sugars 15g; Protein 9g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to:

2 comments:

  1. Mmm these sound yummy! I love your slow cooker recipes but I'm curious to see what other yummy recipes you have too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...