Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Three-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites


I have a love/hate relationship with Halloween.

I love dressing the kids up, making cute costumes and decorations. I love the preschool parties. But I hate all of the candy. (I mean, I love all of the candy, but I hate having all of the candy around.) And now I hate the candy even more because I have a little girl who can't tolerate soy and dairy for the moment. So while everyone else is gobbling down chocolate bar after chocolate bar, she's like, hey, where's mine?


How can you deny this face? Oh, you can't. Which is precisely why I set out to make my favorite candy (yet again) dairy-free, gluten-free and soy-free and with a reduced amount of sugar, so she can gobble her fair share of Halloween candy too.


These are seriously good. 

Three-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites






Makes 24 Pieces

Ingredients:

1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Mega Chunks
1 cup salted roasted peanuts (I used the 365 brand from Whole Foods, which uses canola oil)
1 cup dates (I've used both Medjool and Deglet Noor)

Directions:

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.


Stir completely to ensure the entire bowl is completely smooth.


I used Wilton Halloween candy molds to make the festive pumpkins and spider webs. You can use anything that will hold a shape, even a mini cupcake pan would work.

Drop a teaspoon or so of chocolate into each mold and spread evenly. I used a lollipop stick for easy spreading.


Place in the freezer for a half an hour. Meanwhile, make the peanut filling by chopping the peanuts in a food processor until they resemble coarse crumbs.


Transfer to a bowl. Chop the dates in the same bowl of the food processor until a ball forms.


Add the peanuts back to the food processor and mix until a thick peanut paste forms. Take the molds out of the freezer and press the peanut mixture on top of the chocolate.


Place back into the freezer for another half an hour, then pop out of the molds and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.

My husband and older daughter had just come home from the hardware store when I was popping them out of their molds and they hovered around me in the kitchen with their hands stretched out like I was handing out 100 dollar bills or something.


No tricks in this house. All treats, for sure.





Nutrition Information Per Piece: Calories 104; Total Fat 6g; Total Carb 13g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 10g; Protein 3g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to:



16 comments:

  1. Yum! Move over Reese's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are on my to-do list. I have missed eating candy because I can't have dairy. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super simple, love that there's only three ingredients. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies sound incredible - like an all-natural peanut butter cup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peanutbutter-Chocolate Lara Bar reincarnate!! I love the idea to do it in the candy molds..kids love foods in fun shapes, thanks for the inspiration! tessa@tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea...PB and Chocolate is one of the best combos in the world, but I too am not a big fan of "real" candy. This is the perfect answer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so good! It came to me one night as I was craving chocolate and pb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if I could spread the peanut mixture (although mine would be sunflower seed due to nut allergies) freeze on a cookie sheet? I don't have Halloween molds but I do have Halloween cookie cutters. I was thinking I'd freeze then cut. Whatcha think? GREAT recipe btw!

    -Ashley L

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to just make the peanut part and line a loaf pan with parchment or wax paper and then press the peanut mixture in and freeze and then cut into bars, I bet you could do the same with the chocolate (freeze first) and then the peanut butter layer. I liked the loaf pan cause the sides were high enough to give the bars support. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is pretty genius. Will do that today for my niece (she's celiac). Do you think I can make them with almonds instead of peanuts?

    Peace
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mike,

    I'm sure any nut would work. Just make sure you let the almonds process enough so a paste forms with the dates. Good luck and Happy Halloween!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great!!!
    I try not to have Peanuts so i am going to try with ABC spread!!!
    Thank heaps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made these last night, and they were amazing! I live in the U.K, so can't get any of the brand names you mention, but everyday generic peanuts, dates and vegan chocolate worked a treat.

    My partner thanks you. My colleague thanks you. And I thank you too for this wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made these and my picky family all loved them! They are REALLY really good! I added about a TBS pure maple syrup to the nut/date mixture because it seemed crumbly instead of pasty for some reason... Can't wait to make these with Christmas moulds for xmas parties! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nerissa,

    That's great! Sometimes the peanut/date combo is finicky and either you have to process it for what seems like forever or add more peanuts or dates or maple syrup like you did! Thanks for you letting me know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...