Friday, October 21, 2011

Strawberries 'N Cream Oatmeal


Since the days have been getting colder (and the mornings even colder), I've been scarfing down oatmeal in the morning. I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor, so I don't know how healthy this is, but how bad could oatmeal, goji berries, chia seeds and almond milk be? I also classify this as sugar-free because in my world, if I don't add white refined sugar or brown refined sugar to it, it's sugar-free.

Sometimes people like to send me e-mails that speak to the molecular composition of fruits and honey and maple syrup and argue that I can't say something is sugar-free because really they are all loaded with sugar, natural sugars, fructose, gluclose, blah, blah, blah. What I know is that refined sugar bothers me: It makes my joints ache, sparks cravings and disrupts my sleep patterns. Natural sweeteners on the other hand (not refined sugar) like honey, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar do not. I don't like hopping my kids up on sugar all day long either. So these sugar-free recipes are the recipes I strive to make.

When I was a kid, my mom used to make me Cream of Wheat every morning which I love (and still would love if I didn't have this pesky gluten problem), but oatmeal comes in second and beggars can't be choosers.

I've been loving this particular oatmeal combination so much that I felt compelled to share. It's so easy that it can hardly be called a recipe. I find this particular breakfast to be filled with just the right combination of carbs and protein and fiber to keep my tummy full all morning.

Strawberries 'N Cream Oatmeal


Ingredients:

1/2 cup oatmeal (I use Trader Joe's or Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons goji berries
1/2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon chia seeds
5 quartered strawberries

Directions:

Place first three ingredients in the a large microwaveable bowl (much larger than you think because it will most likely boil over in the microwave). 


Heat in the microwave for 4 minutes 30 seconds. Mix and heat for 30 seconds to a minute more until the oatmeal is thick and creamy. Add the next three ingredients and let sit for a few minutes. EAT!


Sometimes I make this and then throw it in a travel cup if I have to get out of the door fast, which seems to be every morning lately. One word of advice, submerge the travel cup in warm, soapy water as soon as possible or you'll have a big crusty mess on your hands.  


And you'll be tempted to throw that travel cup away because you don't know what's been living in it while it's made a home in your car for a few days. But don't blame it on the oatmeal.


Nutrition Information: Calories 289; Total Fat 7g; Total Carb 49g; Fiber 8g; Sugars 14g; Protein 9g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...