Sunday, September 25, 2011

Slow Cookin' Sunday: Chicken Veggie Soup


Man, I sure was crabby last Sunday. And whiny. This Sunday, though, I am in much better spirits.

Despite the fact that there is a nasty cold making its way through the family. It started with my mom, then my oldest daughter and now my husband is hacking away, chasing his nose everywhere. So this week's Slow Cookin' Sunday was really a no brainer -- Chicken Veggie Soup -- because nothing quite takes the edge off a nasty cold like a big steaming bowl.

At the same time, I decided to start a cleanse on Thursday and instead of plopping down hundreds of dollars to STOP eating, I decided to create my own, loosely based on popular cleanses I had read about. Today is day 5 and I must admit, I feel pretty great. I was feeling puffy, sluggish, craving sugar like c-r-a-z-y and just inflamed so I decided I needed to flush my system and get back on track. So here's what I'm doing:

Breakfast: A green smoothie with lots and lots of fresh spinach. (I'm still experimenting with different variations; haven't quite found one I absolutely love.)

Mid-morning: Another smoothie, fortified with protein powder. (I've been loving a blueberry pear ginger smoothie that I think I am going to post soon.)

Lunch: A light lunch like a brown rice wrap with veggies or some roasted chicken in a salad.

Mid-afternoon: Another smoothie, fortified with protein powder.

Dinner: A light dinner like this chicken veggie soup!

If I get hungry I have some brown rice crackers or veggies with some hummus, which I am quickly getting addicted to and I also started taking a multi-vitamin. I've eliminated dairy completely from my diet, as well as red meat, eggs, bananas, grapes, oranges, strawberries, nightshade veggies, peanuts...

I am going to try and maintain this for two weeks and see how I feel. But I feel so good right now that I don't really foresee a problem.

Also, I was *cleared* on Thursday to start running again, so I am taking it very slow and running 1/4 mile increments each week, which means today is my second day of running a 1/4 mile and walking 3/4 of a mile.

So this chicken veggie soup has served two purposes: It's helped soothe some wicked colds in this family and it also is the perfect light dinner to incorporate into my cleanse -- not to mention, it takes about ten minutes to throw together and the wonderful slow cooker does the rest.  I brought some over to my mom's house on Friday and she had some quinoa we added to it for a little texture and it was even more scrumptious.

Slow Cooker Chicken Veggie Soup







Makes About 8 Cups

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 lb carrots, sliced thin
4 celery stalks, sliced thin
1 bay leaf
1 lb chicken thigh (I used boneless, skinless)
2 large split chicken breasts (I used bone-in and they are normally frozen)
4 cups water or chicken broth (I used water)
1 cup of cooked quinoa (optional)
Salt to taste

Directions:

Heat oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat and sweat chopped onion until translucent. Season with salt.

In the bottom of a slow cooker, layer the carrots, then celery and bay leaf. Add the chicken on top and season generously with salt.


Pour cooked onions over the chicken and then carefully pour the water or chicken broth over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.

When finished, pull out the chicken and allow to cool. Spoon veggies into a bowl. Pour the broth through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into the bowl with the veggies. Shred chicken and add to the bowl. Add the cooked quinoa at this point, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!





Nutrition Information Per 2 Cups of Soup: Calories 261; Total Fat 9g; Total Carb 15g; Fiber 4g; Sugars 5g; Protein 33
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


7 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I've been looking for a chicken soup slow cooker recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty yucky day here so I think this soup is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a fast-paced week after week, we really need to slow down and have lazy Sundays! And we deserve hearty recipes to go with them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so easy and delicious. Our family is currently going through a cold too.... so I'll be making this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. why did you eliminate those particular fruits?
    mmm who doesnt love chx noodle soup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I have a sugar cravings, I read that by eliminating those fruits, it should help cut down with the cravings because those particular fruits are have a high sugar content. I am back to eating them though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...