Sunday, September 18, 2011

Slow Cookin' Sunday: Chicken, Carrots, Mushrooms and A Bit of Corkscrew Pasta


The weather has taken what the meteorologists are a calling a temporary turn for the worse -- chilly days and even chillier nights -- and my injured ankled (which turned out to be a stress fracture) isn't exactly healed yet. And to make matters even worse, my camera has been shipped to Japan in search of repair.

Yep, that just about sums up my week.

I ended up going to a orthopedic doctor because the pain in my ankle just wasn't going away. After an x-ray and an MRI, the crack it my lower tibia showed up loud and clear and I was given strict orders to stay off my feet -- and absolutely no running. Well, by the time they diagnosed me, my ankle was already feeling better, so I let two weeks pass and since I still had no pain, I decided to run a measly little mile on the treadmill on Friday.  It started hurting again on Saturday. Sigh.

All the while, after my daughter's birthday party, I noticed my camera wasn't working correctly and the lighting was off. After too many failed attempts to fix it myself, the lens and the camera body have been shipped home to Japan for six to twelve weeks. This I can't really believe.

So I've added my camera to the list of "things to be mourned." And I sit here with my ankle wrapped, yet again, wondering just what will become of my poor little blog without my camera companion. Wah, wah, boo hoo.

But we forge forward with a brave eye to the world and an open mouth to this week's Slow Cookin' Sunday contribution -- a very-comforting-on-chilly-nights-that-no-longer-resemble-summer-at-all meal -- Slow Cooker Chicken, Carrots and Mushrooms Over Corkscrew Pasta.

Slow Cooker Chicken, Carrots and Mushrooms Over Corkscrew Pasta






Serves 4

Ingredients:

8 bone-in chicken thighs
1 1/2 pounds bite-size cremini mushrooms
1 large onion, diced
4 large carrots, sliced thin


4 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons dried parsley
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 cup cold water
1 lb corkscrew pasta, cooked (I used the Trader Joe's organic brown rice pasta)

Directions:

Clean your mushrooms using a mushroom brush or a damp kitchen towel. 


Do not rinse mushrooms with water as they have the likelihood to toughen up.

Layer the chicken at the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the next six ingredients to the pot. 


Pour the chicken stock over the rest of the ingredients and stir slightly. Cook on low for six hours. When there's a half an hour left, make a slurry by mixing the corn starch with the water. Pour the slurry over the crockpot mixture to slightly thicken the sauce. Continue cooking for the remainder of the time.

Serve immediately over cooked corkscrew pasta.


I have served this with the chicken thighs whole, as well as shredded; it's delicious both ways. This is a very quick throw-in-the-pot-and-forget-about-it crockpot meal that's super comfy and tasty.





Nutrition Information Per 1/4 of Veggies and Two Chicken Thighs (Does Not Include Pasta): Calories 243; Total Fat 6g; Total Carb 16g; Fiber 3g; Sugars 4g; Protein 31g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to:

4 comments:

  1. This chicken dish looks amazing! I love cooking in the crockpot. So I'm going to have to try your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your ankle heals quickly and that you and your camera are reunited again very soon! Thanks for the recipe, it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I got clearance from the doc yesterday to start running again slowly, so hopefully my whining will stop!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...