Friday, September 9, 2011

Keep to Your Can, Tomato Soup. We've Got Carrot Ginger Soup.


We eat carrot ginger soup. Actually, we  eat and love carrot ginger soup. It only has a handful of ingredients and is smooth and silky, slightly carrot-y sweet with a hint of ginger and a dense swirl of light coconut milk.

Tomato soup leaves an acid trail in our house. In fact, my husband hates the very site of tomatoes. They seem to have the power to induce acid if he merely looks at them. Most pasta dishes I make use a white sauce and the pizza sauce I make is very light -- not heavy and definitely not tomatoey. My youngest daughter has acid reflux so tomato soup isn't something that would bode well with her esophagus. My oldest daughter simply turns her nose up at tomatoes (as she does most everything). Me? I like tomato soup (as I do most food -- sigh.) But I can't very well make a huge stockpot of tomato soup for myself. It's just not practical.

So it's a good thing this is a carrot ginger soup with a light coconut milk garnish.


This slightly sweet soup replaces tomato soup in our house. If we're having grilled cheese sandwiches (or grilled ham and cheese triangles -- pictured), I make this soup. If it's an overcast day that screams soup-soup-soup please, then we have this soup. And you know something?  I think it's even better than tomato soup. It's a step-up-from-tomato-soup soup. And it's absolutely delicious.

Carrot Ginger Soup with A Swirl of Light Coconut Milk






Makes Approximately 4 Cups

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1-inch piece of ginger, sliced thin
4 cups water
Salt to taste
1/4 cup light coconut milk

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sweat until soft, about 4 minutes. Season with salt.

Meanwhile slice your carrots and ginger.


When the onions are soft, add the carrots, ginger and water to the pot.


Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes, until the carrots are very tender. Transfer the soup in batches to a blender and process until almost smooth.


Return the soup to the pot and reheat. Taste and reseason with salt if necessary. Ladle into bowls and garnish each bowl with a tablespoon of the coconut milk.


Try not to slurp too loudly. In addition to being an extremely easy dinner, this is also a very inexpensive meal to make and a calorie-conscious meal. Try doubling or tripling the recipe and freezing the extra for future busy nights.





Nutrition Information Per 1 Cup of Soup and 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Milk: Calories 103; Total Fat 5g; Total Carb 15g; Fiber 3g; Sugars 5g; Protein 1g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.

8 comments:

  1. This looks delectable! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. Love those flavors! Did you use coconut milk in a can or a carton?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds great. i want to pick up some carrots at the farmers market tomorrow to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Becky: I used coconut milk (light) in a can.

    @other Becky: That is an awesome idea. I may just do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so yum... i may just try switching the coconut milk for a wimpy swirl of condensed milk instead, because it may pair with the carrot and contrast with the ginger. either way, a perfect fall soup

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make carrot soup often, and this is a spin I haven't tried yet, but I think I will.
    Thanks!
    www.reviewsbymelindajoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this and my wife and son loved it! Delicious and easy to make, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you like it. I just made some again yesterday! You're right, it's so easy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...