Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Green-Eyed Smoothie


I know. This looks like shoe leather. Or like something you would goop on your face in hopes to zap away the fine lines of aging. But, I am telling you, this is the most fantastic green smoothie I have ever slurped.

So, I was on this cleanse, right? I spent the week experimenting with smoothies that didn't use bananas or strawberries or orange juice. Because I couldn't use a banana as an emulsifier, the smoothies were always sort of frothy -- not really thick. Until I stumbled upon the idea of using an avocado as an emulsifier. And what's so wrong with that? Avocados "provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. They also act as a 'nutrient booster' by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients." Not only did it add the thickness I sought, but it also threw in a few key nutrients of its own.

As I mentioned earlier, I was on a cleanse. And the reason I am not anymore is because I decided to turn my homegrown cleanse into a lifestyle change, so I am still sticking to the basic idea of the cleanse (clean eating, etc.), but I am adding foods in that I know I will want to eat in the future -- nightshade veggies, bananas, etc. I guess I feel that life is hard enough. Food should be easy.

You would think, at least.

So after I get done working out in the morning, I whiz up this green smoothie for breakfast and it gives me all of the energy I need till lunch. 


It's one of those ugly duckling stories: Pretty putrid-looking on the outside (I blame the avocado), but boy oh boy, this smoothie delivers on taste. 

Green-Eyed Smoothie






Ingredients:

2 handfuls of fresh spinach
1/2 cup water
1/4 avocado, roughly chopped
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 pear, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons protein powder (I have use both kinds {not together}: Tera's Whey -- Wolfberry and Acai Berry
1/4 teaspoon stevia (I use NuNaturals)

Directions:

Add the spinach to a blender with the water.


Blend until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender.


Whiz until smooth. Pour into a cup and enjoy with spoon or straw. 

For those of you who ride a stationary bike, I came across a pretty wicked workout on fitsugar.com that I tried this morning that broke a little of the dullness stationary bikes tend to bring. I've got to admit at 100 rpms, my heart was banging in my chest! Here's what it looks like:

Pick a moderate level on the for your resistance (not too easy, not too hard). 

Step One: 00:00-05:00 Warm-up, 40-50 rpm
Step Two: 05:00-10:00 70-80 rpm;
 10:00-12:00 100 rpm; 
12:00-14:00 60-80 rpm
Step Three: Repeat step two twice
Step Four: 32:00-37:00 Cool-down, 40-50 rpm





Nutrition Information: Calories 258; Total Fat 8g; Total Carb 38g; Fiber 10g; Sugars 21g; Protein 14
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This post has been linked to:

4 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try a green smoothie. I keep hearing about them on Martha Stewart Sirius. I think I'll try this one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of using an avocado in a smoothie. I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, I am so happy that you found my blog!! Your site is wonderful, so many healthy dishes. :) I saw your packet of Tera's whey in this recipe. How does it taste compared to other whey proteins? I saw it in the store recently and was tempted to try it. I like that it is sweetened naturally. Thank you for joining Fit and Fab Fridays. Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amee! I found you through basilmomma. I love love love the Tera's whey. Since I found it, I won't use anything else. Just this morning, I made this smoothie with a banana instead of an avocado and I used the Tera's whey yumberry protein powder. So good! (Now if I can only find a way to make a cappuccino heath blizzard at Dairy Queen healthy!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...