Monday, August 29, 2011

Two-Ingredient Concord Grape Jam


School days are here. Again. I get so excited when I see school supplies start to crowd the shelves at the superstores and markets. My mind instantly floods with sweet memories of backpacks, sharpened pencils, clean erasers, fresh notebooks, homemade brown paper bag book covers and lunch boxes loaded with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a Strawberry Shortcake thermos filled with piping hot soup and little pieces of paper with scribbled notes from my mom about having a good rest of the day. 

I swear, my fingers start to tingle when I see the aisles of school supplies line the back of the stores. But, since I am sadly no longer climbing aboard the bus these days, I'll have to live vicariously through my two girls -- one who was very excited to start school this year. And the other who was very excited to climb the front porch stoop.


With school comes after-school treats in the form of thick and sweet concord grape jam. I ran into a pint of concord grapes twice this year and was forced to purchase them because I had never in my life seen concord grapes at the market.

I came home excited, chanting all of Alton Brown's concord grape quips. I washed them and popped one in my mouth.  

Blech. Tiny, tiny seeds hid beneath all of the wonderful concord juiciness. We clearly couldn't eat these. So what is a girl to do?


Make two-ingredient concord grape jam of course. Oh, dairy-free, gluten-free and sugar-free concord grape jam.

Sweet serendipity.

Two-Ingredient Concord Grape Jam


Makes approximately 1 cup

Ingredients: 

2 pounds concord grapes
1/2 cup honey or agave nectar

Directions:

Wash and remove all stems from the concord grapes.


Place the grapes in a large dutch oven or stock pot set over medium-high heat. Lightly smash with a potato masher.


Bring to a hard boil and turn heat down to a gentle simmer. Cook for 10 minutes and smash grapes again. They should flatten easily.

Run through a food mill to remove the seeds.


Transfer back to the pot and set over high heat. Once it begins to boil, add the honey and cook mixture down until it becomes dark and thick, 10 to 15 minutes from the time it started to boil.


Transfer to a container and cool briefly before placing in the fridge. To loosen up jam, place in the microwave for a few seconds. Spread on seriously anything and enjoy. 


I had a serious problem eating this out of the jar with a spoon. I couldn't stop. Then I started thinking about how good this would be mixed in with ice cream...

Nutrition Information Per TablespoonCalories 52; Total Fat 0g; Total Carb 14g; Fiber 0g; Sugars 9g; Protein 0g

*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post has been linked to the following blog hops:

5 comments:

  1. This looks like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw concord grapes too for the first time. I should buy them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I use this process with any kind of fruit suitable for a jam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica: I have only done this with grapes. So I'm not sure if it will work with other fruit. But it does work with all types of grapes. Gina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...