Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sugar-Free Stewed Tomatoes Turned Pizza Sauce


My garden didn't produce too much this year and while it's still growing, I don't have high hopes for bushels of tomatoes or green peppers. The same sort of thing happened two years ago and now that I think about it, the weather was quite similar: lots of extremely hot days followed by a string of downpour days. I don't think that bodes too well for a garden -- at least not mine it seems.

I did bear tomatoes, but not nearly enough to last me through the winter. I think the the amount I have will just barely take me through the fall months. When I get a huge amount of tomatoes from my garden, I usually make a bunch of huge batches of stewed tomatoes and freeze them. I use them throughout the the fall, winter and spring for anything that requires a tomato base -- pizza sauce, pasta sauces or simply as a tomato base in soups, in particular, my Vegetable, Bean and Quinoa Soup.

I made my first batch a few days ago and instead of freezing it, I turned it into a pizza sauce for the next day. The stewed tomatoes are really quite versatile and what's even better is that they are sugar-free. They give me the ability to make all of my tomato base foods sugar-free which is awesome because it is so hard to find sugar-free pizza sauce and pasta sauce.


Actually, it's hard to find anything that doesn't contain at least a little sugar in it. Seriously, if you care, look at the ingredients of almost any packaged or processed food; it always has sugar (or evaporated cane juice) listed. Don't get me wrong, I used to love sugar and firmly believe in moderation in life, but it makes my joints ache, so we had to divorce. Sugar can't seem to get the picture though because it still stalks me...

Sugar-Free Stewed Tomatoes 





Makes 2 Cups 

Ingredients:

12 large tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon coconut palm sugar

Directions:

You are going to have to remove the skins of the tomatoes which requires a pot of boiling water and a large bowl of cold water and ice (an ice bath). 


Set a large pot with hot water over high heat and bring to a boil. Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice. Set aside. Once the water is boiling, plunge as many tomatoes as will comfortably fit into the boiling water. Allow to sit for 30 seconds. Pull them out and immediately place them in the ice bath for 30 seconds. The skin on the tomatoes should peel right off. 


Proceed to peel, seed and dice the tomatoes. Repeat the entire process until all of the tomatoes have been broken down.

In a large pot over medium heat, combine all of the ingredients and simmer until slightly thickened about 15 - 20 minutes.


You now have stewed tomatoes. Transfer to freezer-safe containers, cool to room temperature and store in the freezer.

Nutrition Information For Entire Recipe: Calories 516; Total Fat 7g; Total Carb 115g; Fiber 26g; Sugars 6g; Protein 20g

*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned earlier, I turn my stewed tomatoes into all sorts of fun things. Over the weekend, I made pizza sauce!

Sugar-Free Pizza Sauce






Makes Sauce for 2 12-inch Pizzas

Ingredients:

1 recipe stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar

Directions:

Pour stewed tomatoes into a food processor and process until smooth.


Pour into a medium saucepan and warm over medium-high heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.


Cook until thickened, about 15 minutes.


Spread onto pizza dough. And proceed with your pizza as you normally would (here's how I do it).


Store any leftover pizza sauce in a jar in the refrigerator or in the freezer until next use. Nothing beats fresh-from-the-veggie-garden stewed tomatoes and pizza sauce.



Nutrition Information For Half of Recipe: Calories 306; Total Fat 4g; Total Carb 69g; Fiber 15g; Sugars 10g; Protein 12g

*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool.


6 comments:

  1. That pizza looks so good in the last picture. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a sugarless pizza sauce recipe last week. So glad I found this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great. making pizza with your own home grown tomatoes :) love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm couldn't help but notice the "coconut palm sugar".....sugarfree??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason: Yes this recipe is white sugar-free (refined sugar-free). Coconut palm sugar is a natural sugar substitute made from the nectar of the coconut palm tree. Enjoy! Gina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...