Saturday, August 6, 2011

Power Up! 24 Creamy Ounces of A Protein-Packed Mocha Frappuccino


When three o'clock chimes, I need coffee. This has been a pattern for me for quite some time in all aspects of my life -- kids, no kids, work, no work, school, no school. I don't really know why, but I get so sleepy around three o'clock in the afternoon.

A Starbuck's Mocha Frappuccino would be my choice of drink every afternoon, but, uh, 5 bucks every day for a coffee isn't exactly what I call fiscally responsible. And not to mention, they're loaded with sugar, which is another no-no pattern for me lately.

To satisfy my coffee crave, I've been making iced coffee every afternoon. That is every day until I discovered homemade mocha frappuccinos -- which, by the way, was a complete and total accident.

I've been doing some light weight training and in constant search of protein to feed my broken muscles. So I'm knee-deep in protein powder experiments. The last protein powder I had (which I have since given away) contained a little evaporated cane juice, so it wasn't a perfect fit. But, I stumbled upon a great protein powder from Whole Foods -- Tera's Whey -- that is lightly sweetened with stevia -- which happens to be a perfect fit.


The rest, really, is history.

Oh, did I mention it only has 187 calories?

24-Ounce Protein-Packed Mocha Frappuccino





Makes 1 gigantic 24-ounce mocha frappuccino 

Ingredients:

1 medium banana, frozen (skin off)
4 ounces cold coffee
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons chocolate protein powder (I use this one)
5 ice cubes
1/4 teaspoon powdered stevia (I use this one)
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (I use this one)

Directions:

To brew the coffee, I put five ice cubes in a cup and use my iced coffee setting on my coffee maker. I stick it in the fridge to cool off. You can obviously just use coffee from the morning and stick it in the fridge. I have a one-cup coffee maker, so I do it a bit differently.

Anyhow.

In a blender, place the first six ingredients and blend for about 30 seconds, until all of the ice is crushed. Add the xanthan gum and blend for 15 seconds more.


I pour all of this in a large cup and pop in a straw. I started using straws because one morning I hastily made one for the car ride to my daughter's soccer practice and I sipped it sans straw.

To my utter horror, I walked around the whole morning oblivious to the brown stain my mocha frappuccino left on my upper lip. When we got into the car after practice was over, my husband turned to say something to me and said, "What IS that above your lip?"

The straw is definitely key.





Nutrition Information: Calories 187; Total Fat 3g; Total Carb 31g; Fiber 4g; Sugars 16g; Protein 12g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post has been linked to the following blog hops:











13 comments:

  1. Love coffee. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, straw. too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, it was my husband's fault for not telling me sooner....:D!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious! A perfect way to get your morning coffee in :D And your straw story was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! It's really hard not to have more than 1 a day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I have a great way to kickstart my morning. Your funny in the straw saga. love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this recipe! I love using Xanthan gun to make it taste more like the Sbucks mix. Also, I'm with you on the straw thing- I think somewhere along the way I became inept at drinking a smoothie/ frapucino normally, sans straw. Now when I run out of straws I'm bummed because I know I will get mustache mouth if I make a smoothie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL.. that's a hilarious story. Xanthan gum huh? Haven't tried that in a smoothie. Looking forward to new experiments!

    Thanks for sharing at this week's Sugar Free Sunday - see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! And it uses my favorite brand of cocoa powder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanx for ur post. plzzz tell me wht is the main benifits of WP, nd wht is the effect of WP on health ??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...