Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Almond Butter Flourless Cookies


I've been meaning to try these cookies for a long time -- since January 11 to be exact. I found a recipe for flourless peanut butter cookies from Martha Stewart and I wanted to try and concoct a cookie from it that was gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free and soy-free.

Isn't life pleasant when a plan comes together?

Isn't life even more pleasant when your four-year old comes in from playing outside to the smell of cooling chocolate chip cookies and asks if she can have one? And then after gobbling the first down, asks for another and you can give it to her because it's really quite good for her?

I savor these moments, as they are few and far between. And I savor these gluten-free, refined-sugar free, dairy-free, soy-free cookies.

Almond Butter Flourless Cookies






Makes 21 Cookies

Note: I made half of the cookies with chopped almonds and the other half with chocolate chips for the kids. The cookies with the chocolate chips have a tiny bit of evaporated cane juice in it from the Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips, so they are not entirely refined sugar-free.

Ingredients:

1 cup creamy roasted almond butter
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped blanched whole almonds (optional)
1/4 cup mini chocolate chip cookies (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put one oven shelf in the upper third and another on the bottom third of the oven. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

Mix together the almond butter and the honey in a large bowl until creamy.


Add the next four ingredients and mix until incorporated. At this point I divided the batter into two parts and added the chopped almonds to one and the chocolate chips to the other (for a little variety).


Scoop out the dough, roughly the size of a tablespoon, onto each baking sheet until all of the dough is gone.


Place in the oven for 8 - 12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.


If you don't allow them to cool on the pan for a few minutes, they will break apart. I have this weird quirk where I like to store everything in the refrigerator, so I store these in there too, in an airtight container.



Box them up and give them away or eat them as as you please. They are so yummy.





Nutrition Information Per Cookie (Almond Version): Calories 102; Total Fat 7.2g; Total Carb 8.2g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 6g; Protein 6g
*Nutrition information has been calculated using an online recipe calculator tool

9 comments:

  1. These look so good and with hardly any ingredients. Thanks for passing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that these have real ingredients in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband reports: better than a flour-ful cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, that's great! The husband test (or dad) is always the hardest but best test to pass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We substituted peanut butter for almond butter, we were also out of palm sugar so used cane sugar. The texture and flavour were lovely.They did burn however and little to none flattening occurred; maybe due to the peanut butter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...I don't really know why they didn't flatten! Try almond butter next time and see if there's a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to tell you, I have made this recipe WAY too many times than I care to admit. In fact, I have to limit myself to once a week. I have been to culinary school, and have baked since I was a VERY little girl, and these cookies impress me so much. My boyfriend wants me to make them every single night, as these are his favorite too. And we have tried a LOT of refined sugar free recipes. I have given EVERYONE your recipe (or rather, sent them a link to your beautiful blog). In the last 6 months I have lost a ton of weight, cut out sugar, and begun a semi-paleo lifestyle and I will probably be making these cookies for a long long time. Yours is one of the first blogs I found that had sugar free recipes, and thanks to you and a few others that inspired me, I have started honestlydelicious.blogspot.com. I'd be honored if you would check it out, as I will most definitely send any of my followers to you for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That makes me so happy and CONGRATULATIONS on losing weight and feeling great. Cutting out sugar is SO hard. But once you find ways to enjoy sweet treats without gobs and gobs of sugar not only do you end up feeling great, but looking great too! I will definitely be checking out your blog for awesome recipes!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...