Thursday, July 21, 2011

Who Put the Oats in My Meatloaf?


Meatloaf.

Meatloaf?

Meatloaf!

You know, any which way it's said, it's just not an appetizing-sounding word. It conjures up, well, images of meat in loaf form, which isn't exactly what I think people sit around craving. Or do they?

Well, they would this meatloaf because quite frankly, it's awesome. As Meatloaf did indeed say: I would do anything for love this meatloaf. Okay, okay. He didn't say that exactly. But I am!

This meatloaf is really special because it uses a secret ingredient to keep it moist -- good old fashioned oatmeal. (The science of food astounds me.)

When I was little, meatloaf was in my mom's dinner rotation and each time she made it, I would drizzle ketchup over my slice and mash down the entire piece with my fork. It was delicious. Old habits die hard. Really hard.

I Would Do Anything for Meatloaf 






Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
1 large egg
1/4 cup ketchup
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup oats

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.

In a large bowl, add beef, pork, egg and ketchup. Using a handheld grater, grate in onion and two cloves of garlic.


Add salt and mix well with your hands. Add the oats and mix well once more. Do not over mix.

Dump the mixture on the baking sheet and form a loaf with your hands.


I don't use a loaf pan because I think there's the possibility the meatloaf may end up steaming in its own juices versus roasting.

Place a thermometer in the middle, being careful not to push it all of the way down to the baking sheet and set the alarm for 160 degrees. Put it on the oven and forget about it until the alarm sounds.

When it's done, allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.


Leftovers make a wonderful sandwich.

4 comments:

  1. Lol! You're so right about the meatloaf word, but I like meatloaf and this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thermometer idea is great!
    Your version of meatloaf with oats is awesome! Would love to try out this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thermometer makes it way too easy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...