Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chocolate Chip Banana Freedom Bread


Finally and wonderfully -- Chocolate Chip Banana Freedom Bread.  Banana bread that is free from dairy, gluten, soy and sugar (but with a sprinkling of chocolate chips, so there is a teeny weeny itsy bitsy amount of cane sugar if you include the Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips).

What's best, though? It tastes delicious. And the almond flour is so full of good fats that no butter or oil is needed; it keeps it nice and moist.

I'm on a continuous quest to create dairy-free and soy-free foods for my sweet daughter (gluten- and sugar-free is just a bonus for me, wink, wink) and wonderfully enough, this banana bread hits the spot for the entire family. My oldest is passing up Oreo cookies for a slice of this banana bread. No joke.

Just a word of warning: Don't spray your pans with cooking spray if you're looking to avoid soy. It's loaded with soy lecithin and I unfortunately realized this while the mini loaves were cooling. Instead, buy one of these pumps and fill it with your oil of choice.

Chocolate Chip Banana Freedom Bread






Makes 3 Mini Loaves (24 Slices Total)

Ingredients:

3 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey
3 ripe medium bananas, mushed
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I use these.)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray three mini loaves (or one regular-sized loaf pan) with oil. Set aside.

Mix first five ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla and vinegar. Add honey and mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix to combine. Add bananas and mix well. Add chocolate chips and mix to combine.

Divide batter among three pans. Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


Run a knife around the edges of the pan, pop out and cool on racks.


These little guys are so moist from the almond flour and because they're baked in mini loaf pans, they make the perfect little snack.


I slice these loaves into eight pieces per loaf and either bag them and freeze them or I simply store them in the refrigerator. Sometimes, though, if I'm heading over to someone special's house, I like to wrap these loaves up with ribbon and leave them with something sweet and healthy.


Nutrition Information Per Slice: Calories 199; Total Fat 15g; Total Carb 13g; Fiber 4g; Sugars 6g; Protein 7g





This post has been linked to the following blog hops:





20 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Love the recipe. I don't have any intolerances, but who wants to eat something that has 100 ingredients. I'm definitely going to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ribbons are so cute. Like little gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ribbons are adorable! :) they'd make such cute gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi any idea what i can substitute apple cider vinegar for? (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice would probably provide the right amount of acid in place of the vinegar without lending a "lemon" flavor. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look soooo delicious! And your pictures are adorable! I'll for sure be trying this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When do you add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, I fixed the recipe. Woops! Thanks for letting me know I forgot that step!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for listing the nutritional information! I love that there are so few ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've decided to try and start putting the nutritional information on each recipe...that way you know what you're getting into...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't find almond flour even at my local organics store, can you suggest a kind of (gluten free) flour I could substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Daniela,

    I always order my almond four online at Honeyville Food Products: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/search.aspx?find=almond+flour

    The 1lb bag is pretty reasonable at 9.99! The best best is the 5lb bag at $29.99, which lasts quite some time. Almonds are expensive, so unfortunately, it costs a bit more than all-purpose (AP) flour. I store mine in the refrigerator in a sealed container. I've even heard you can freeze your almond flour, but I've never tried it.

    As far as other gluten-free mixes, there are a ton out there, but the key word is mix. Most other flours (other than nut flours) need the right ratio of flours (for taste), plus xanthan or guar gum to give it the elasticity gluten provides to AP flours. You can try another nut flour (peanut for example) and see what happens. Or here's a link to another banana bread recipe from the Karina Allrich that uses a gluten-free flour mix:

    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/11/banana-chocolate-chip-bread.html

    Hope this helps!

    Gina C.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gina, this looks amazing! I was wondering why the cake looked uber moist and then realized it must be the almond flour. It always gives baked goods such a nice texture, doesn't it?

    Also, to anyone looking at the oil spritzer, you can find it on Amazon for about 5 bucks cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your photos and i LOVE your recipe! what a deliciously moist and moorish looking bread, gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. isn't honey a form of sugar? i'm kind of confused. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We try to stay away from refined white sugar and instead use natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar, dates, etc to help satisfy our enormous sweet teeth. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this recipe today so I could have a little loaf to add the the gift basket I am making my dad for Christmas! 1 loaf for him, 1 loaf for a friend, and 1 loaf to taste test of course! ;) They turned out really yummy, not to sweet, great banana taste! I ended up having to bake them for 40 minutes instead of 30, though. Great recipe, I'll definately be saving this one! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's great! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this recipe. I have made it several times and its a huge hit.
    I saw someone asked about the almond flour..I get mine from nuts.com. Its only 6.99 a pound and they have such awesome products, prices and fast shipping.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...