Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cheesy Beef Sandwich with Peppers, Onions and Loads of Garlic


I have this thing for beef sandwiches. Maybe it's the Chicago in me. Every since I was little, I would love when my mom made a roast for dinner because that night or the next day, I was guaranteed a beef sandwich on garlic bread. (There are times when I think I could give up red meat easily, but then I remember my love of beef sandwiches and realize there is no way in hell I can give it up. I've had to give up too many things lately -- and not by choice.)

When I came across this lovely recipe from this lovely lady, Cooking with Mel, on Facebook, I had to try it. As with most things creative, you've got to add your own touches that jive just right with your family, so here's my take on her wonderful creation.

Vampires need not apply.

Cheesy Beef Sandwich with Peppers, Onions and Loads of Garlic






Makes 4 Sandwiches

Ingredients:


Extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground chuck
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon, minced dried onion
1 green pepper, julienned
1 onion, julienned
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Hamburger rolls (I use Udi's Gluten-Free Hamburger Rolls -- seriously delicious)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.

Swirl a little oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add ground chuck to the pan and break apart the meat with a wooden spoon. Add the minced dried onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Stir and continue to cook. Season with salt. Once browned, drain and transfer to a large bowl.

Heat another swirl of oil in the same pan over medium heat and add peppers and onions. Sweat for about four minutes and add the remaining garlic. Season with salt and continue to cook until soft. Transfer to the same bowl as the meat.


Stir to incorporate. Add cheese to same bowl and mix completely.


Load each bun with meat mixture and place in the oven for about ten minutes or until cheese is melted and bun is toasty.


Serve immediately. My husband had a great idea and added some hot giardiniera to his sandwich. This will definitely make it into our rotation.


And I'm serious about the Udi's gluten-free hamburger rolls. They are unbelievable.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had that right now! (Okay, maybe for lunch!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these and OMG. Delish! i put some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ on mine to give it some added moistness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeek! I am so glad! And I'm glad you posted this comment because you reminded me how much we love this recipe. I just took some ground chuck out of the freezer to defrost and instead of hamburgers tomorrow, we're having this!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...