Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Beat the Heat Guilt-Free: Cherry Vanilla Fro Yo


It's like a heatwave burning in my heart. But, Martha and the Vandellas, the heatwave isn't in my heart. It's in my backyard. And from what the news is telling me, it's in most of my fellow Americans' backyards as well.

It is hot.

So hot that the poor plants I slaved over all summer are dying slowly, no matter how much water I give them. The grass is getting so yellow and sharp it cut the bottoms of both my big toes.  But with all dark clouds (or scorching suns) comes at least one silver lining. And yesterday's silver lining was cherry vanilla fro yo (frozen yogurt).


Luckily yesterday was Monday. Monday is my cleaning and laundry day. The house is always in such shambles after the weekend. So I take the whole day on Monday to clean every inch and knock out as much laundry as possible. This way we have a nice clean house all week and the kids and I can go swimming, run errands and enjoy the summer the rest of the week.

I said luckily yesterday was Monday because it was 105 degrees outside. Ain't nobody going outside when it's 105 degrees outside. But everybody should be eating guilt-free, sugar-free cherry vanilla fro yo when it's 105 degrees outside. Mmm, mmm, good.

Cherry Vanilla Fro Yo


Ingredients:

1 32 ounce container light vanilla yogurt (I used Dannon Light and Fit)
1 cup cherries, pitted and chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon powdered stevia

Directions:

Line a sieve with cheesecloth, place yogurt in sieve. Perch and drain the yogurt on a bowl overnight. See more detailed directions here.  

An hour before you're ready to churn your yogurt in your ice cream maker, prep the cherry jam. Pit and chop the cherries. 


Add the cherries, lemon juice and stevia to a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat. Stir occasionally.


After 15 minutes or until the cherries have cooked down in their own juices and thickened, remove from heat. The consistency of the cherries should be like that of jam.


Put in the refrigerator to cool. 

Empty your drained yogurt into your ice cream and follow your manufacturer's directions. I churned mine for 14 minutes. Then add the cooled cherry mixture and churn for 3 more minutes or until fully incorporated. Spoon out of barrel and enjoy.


Or store in an airtight container in the freezer to enjoy later. Perfectly light. Perfectly sweet. (Perfectly sugar-free.) 

Simply perfect.

Note: For soft serve-like fro yo, this is best served immediately. If you prefer to freeze and eat later, microwave for at least one minute to loosen up or leave it on the counter for 20 minutes. Because of the low fat content of this fro yo, it forms more ice crystals than a full fat fro yo. 

P.S. This post has been linked to the following blog hops:

2 comments:

  1. This is just the kind of recipe I was looking for. I am so glad I clicked on the link!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...