Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Very Simple, Very Sweet: Wedding Cake Card


One of my husband's cousins was recently married and for his wedding, instead of buying a card, slapping our names on it and shoving a check in it, I thought it would be nice to make a very simple, but sweet card that had something old (paper), something new (the tape I used), something borrowed (the white ribbon) and something blue (the color of the paper).

This is a very easy card that uses a basic layering technique and simple shapes to create a cute effect.



Supplies:

Paper
Ribbon
Scissors
Double-sided tape
An extra envelope

I started with a spare envelope I had that measured 6 x 6 inches. So I created a base of 5.5 x 5.5 inches with paper that matched an accent color (which was really a miracle that I had paper to match) on the blue flowered paper. This paper was not card stock, so to give it some support, I cut a white piece piece of card stock the same size (5.5 x 5.5 inches) and taped it to the inside.


I then cut out the pieces of the cake. There were two layers for each of the three tiers. I went back and forth on the dimensions and settled on the following:

Bottom Tier:
White -- 2 x 2 .75 inches
Pattern -- 1.75 x 2.5 inches

Middle Tier:
White -- 1.5 x 2.25 inches
Pattern -- 1.25 x 2 inches

Top Tier:
White -- 1 x 1.75 inches
Pattern -- .75 x 1.5 inches


After taping the layers together, I placed them in the middle of the front of the card and adhered them using double-sided tape. I then completed the inside of the card, which was a simple layer of the patterned paper cut at 5 x 5 inches and a white card stock layer on top at 4.5 x 4.5 inches.


I then cut a piece of white ribbon (random length) and tied a bow, cutting each end to even it off.


I used Zots to adhere the bow to the top of the cake.


It's not fancy or loaded with technique, but I thought it was a nice replacement for a store bought card -- and the great thing is all I had to buy was double-sided tape because I ran out when making the Chuggington birthday invitations.


For a personal touch, try making this card for the next wedding you attend!





This post is linked to the following blog hops:



1 comment:

  1. So cute! Love the idea of a wedding cake!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...