Thursday, June 30, 2011

5-Minute Lunch: Quick Roasted Insalata Caprese


I was chatting on Facebook the other day, when someone sent me a link to a blog post (that for the life of me I cannot find right now) for broiled Roma tomato halves with mozarella cheese and basil. It looked so good that the very next day, I bought a bunch of plum tomatoes (49 cents a pound and my tomatoes aren't in yet) and fresh mozzarella bocconcini. (Even though I cannot grow herbs in pots -- as hard as I may try -- thankfully, my basil is the only plant that has thrived and I was able to walk into my backyard and snip a few leaves off. ) 

I like light lunches, especially in the summer. So that day, I tried cutting the tomatoes in half, like the recipe read and adding slices of mozzarella to the tops. But every time I bit into a broiled tomato half, the insides would shoot out onto the plate. I was left with cheese and chewy tomato skin. 

I must have done something wrong. Maybe they should broil longer, I thought. But, nope. I tried again, leaving them in longer and the same thing happened. So I decided to cut the tomatoes into slices and broil them with the cheese on, adding the basil at the end. And, oh my. This quite literally became the perfect bite. I've had this for lunch every day since. Let's just say: I bought a lot of tomatoes.

Quick Roasted Insalata Caprese






Makes 8 slices

Ingredients:

2 Roma or plum tomatoes
8 slices of mozzarella bocconcini
8 small basil leaves
Salt


Directions:

Preheat your broiler to high. Move the top shelf of your oven to about 4 inches away from broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.

Meanwhile cut your tomatoes into slices, about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. Arrange on the baking sheet.


Sprinkle with a little salt. Place your cheese on top of each tomato slice. Place under the broiler for about 5 - 7 minutes or until edges of tomatoes start to crinkle and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and place basil on each tomato. Sprinkle with more salt.


I've eaten these right out of the oven, at room temperature and cold. Seriously delicious all three ways.

This post has been linked to the following blog hops:

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering looking at these. I've made the regular salad, but never roasted them. Im going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple and so delicious. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...