Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Spinach, Bacon and Egg Uncrusted Quiche



It's no secret that I'll put spinach in anything. And why not? It's packed with vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium and vitamin B6. It is a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, protein, phosphorous, zinc and vitamin E, not to mention omega-3 fatty acids, niacin and selenium.

You can't really get too much vitamin A. You never really hear anyone say, "Oh what's in that? Spinach? Oh, no thanks, I've nearly reached my vitamin A limit today."

Cooked, raw or cooked and cold on a sandwich: I just love spinach. Oh and I especially love spinach with eggs, bacon and cheese!

Last week, it just so happened that I had all of the right ingredients (hmmm, I wonder how that happened?) for one of my most favorite go-to dinners -- this creamy and rich, spinach, bacon and egg quiche (sans the crust). I'm sure if you wanted to put this into a pie crust, it would be totally delish as well. It's great for dinner, great for brunch or would make a totally impressive appetizer cut into little squares, served hot or cold.

Spinach, Bacon and Egg Uncrusted Quiche






Ingredients:

8 slices of bacon
2 1/2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
6 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a casserole or baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Chop bacon into pieces and cook over medium heat until crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.

Meanwhile, chop the spinach into bite size pieces.


In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, heavy cream, half and half and salt. Set aside.

Line the bottom of your dish with the spinach, cheese and bacon.


Pour the egg mixture over the layered ingredients and place in oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle and nicely browned on top.


We ate ours with some silver dollar zucchini pancakes and it was one of those meals that when you think you're done, you keep find yourself taking just a little more to pick on while others finish their meal.





9 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious...the spinach looks divine in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great - I made spinach crepes this week - and lots of other spinach stuff after buying the huge box of fresh baby spinach from costco! It's good stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having too much spinach on my hands. I've never made crepes, but it sounds like a good use of spinach to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome...but I might make it without the spinach. My husband faints at anything green! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love quiche any time and I like how easy it's to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been making spinach (silverbeet), feta, and sun dried tomato muffins - they are fabulous - I use Gluten free flour and they freeze really well - I just warm them in the microwave. Just another good way to use the spinach you love so much!
    Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought of putting it in a muffin. Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to try that. Sounds GREAT for breakfast, which is always a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe with Let's Do Brunch. I love the sound of your quiche and your photos are wonderful. That is great it is crust-less too - much healthier. Hope to see you again at Let's Do Brunch this week. The linky is up now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All my favorites in one dish and grain-free too. This looks awesome! Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...