Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin Medallions


For quite some time, I've been dying to wrap something in bacon and cook it. I've been seeing people on the Food Network wrap steaks and chicken -- basically anything that can be wrapped -- with bacon and cook it for years. And for some reason I really wanted to do it with pork tenderloin. So yesterday I finally decided to take the plunge and wrap some pork with bacon.

Wait. What?

There was a split second during my entire thought process on Tuesday afternoon when I paused and thought, "Hmmm, is that gross?" Pork wrapped in pork? (I always hate around Thanksgiving when you see recipes for Turducken. I think that is so nasty and it really truly grosses me out.) But I brushed it aside, explaining away my concerns with something along the lines, "Oh bacon isn't really pork. And pork tenderloin tastes just like chicken." (I am seriously glad I used bogus excuses to convince myself to make this because it was unbelievably good.)

Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin Medallions






Ingredients:

1 pork tenderloin (If there are two in the package, I just used one.)
5 slices of bacon
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Dried parsley
Salt

Directions:

Parcook the bacon in the microwave for two minutes. (I line a plate with a few paper towels, place the bacon on top and then place a few more paper towels on top of the bacon. I really hemmed and hawed about this wondering if the bacon would crisp up on its own in the grill or if it needed a little help from the microwave. Even though I hate cooking bacon in the microwave because it seems to make the house smell like bacon for a week, I did it in the essence of time and efficiency and it worked a-w-e-s-o-m-e.)

Preheat the grill by firing up only one half of the burners to medium-high until the internal temp reaches 350 - 400 degrees. Spray the grates with cooking spray.

Meanwhile prep the pork tenderloin by slicing off the silver skin and removing any large pockets of fat. Wrap the bacon around the whole pork tenderloin and secure with a toothpick.


Cut into medallions using the bacon as a guide for your width -- basically cut between each slice of bacon.


Place the medallions on a plate and season one side with oil and sprinkle each piece with garlic powder, parsley flakes and salt.


Place the pork tenderloin on the grill, seasoned side down and season the other side. Sear each side for 2 minutes.


Then flip every 4 minutes for 12 - 16 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.


These little guys are the perfect portions for bbqs or parties because they cook quickly and you could probably knock a bunch out.


But just don't forget to take the toothpicks out or someone won't be happy!


8 comments:

  1. Lol! Pork wrapped in pork! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. These look doggone good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good. I've done this before and baked it instead of grilled it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not exactly a meat lover, but this looks so delicious it makes my mouth waters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great and easy to make! thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree bacon isn't pork it is just bacon. Now this is for sure what I am bbq'ing next, awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished eating them and they were awesome!! Very juicy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...